Communion before Convalidation of Marriage?

Our Convalidation ceremony is set for July 30th. Our parish priest is encouraging me to go to Confession and Communion before we have the Convalidation ceremony. Is this OK to do? It just doesn’t seem right to me.

Actually, both are an excellent idea.

Convalidation will invlove the reception of the Sacrament of marriage (if not otherwise present)

The Grace recieved in a Sacrament is enhanced when one is in a State of Grace already. This means participating in the Sacrament of Reconcilliation, and if the convalidation is not going to take place in the context of a Mass, then to recieve the Sacrament of the Eucharist prior as well

[quote=Lizbert]Our Convalidation ceremony is set for July 30th. Our parish priest is encouraging me to go to Confession and Communion before we have the Convalidation ceremony. Is this OK to do? It just doesn’t seem right to me.
[/quote]

Yes this is a good idea. Go to Confession and confess the sins caused by the irregular Marriage situation and abstain from the marriage act until the Convalidation. You are then free to receive Holy Communion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.