communion/confession

why should anyone avoid communion regardless of the state of sin. (except mortal - abortion, adultery, murder) - what would be the church teaching on when it is acceptable to receive communion and what level of sin makes it not acceptable?
(this stems from another post i read where the poster says that receiving communion while in a state of sin is actually extremely sinful… i understand the sentiment, but is this reflected in actual church teaching?)

just curious…

Those in a state of mortal sin must go to Confession before receiving the Holy Communion. Receiving the Holy Communion in a state of mortal sin is sacrilegious. The Church bases this teaching on St. Paul’s teaching in I Cor. 11:27:

Therefore whosoever shall eat this bread, or drink the chalice of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and of the blood of the Lord.

thank you for answering my question.
-chris

[quote=thechrismyster]why should anyone avoid communion regardless of the state of sin. (except mortal - abortion, adultery, murder) - what would be the church teaching on when it is acceptable to receive communion and what level of sin makes it not acceptable?
(this stems from another post i read where the poster says that receiving communion while in a state of sin is actually extremely sinful… i understand the sentiment, but is this reflected in actual church teaching?)

just curious…
[/quote]

God hates sin. We force Him to be with sin in our soul when we receive a Sacrament (any Sacrament except Confession) while in Mortal sin and refuse to repent of that sin and confess it in Reconciliation. Even receiving a Sacrament with venial sin on our soul is another venial sin when we refuse to repent of the sin and ask forgiveness prior to receiving the Sacrament of Holy Communion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.