Communion dress question

This year as a family we are taking Communion, Penance, Confirmation.

My issue is finding a communion dress for my oldest who is 13. She is VERY tall for her age at a whopping 5'6 (maybe a little taller than that now). She wears a junior size 10 or 11. She is just really tall. Anyways I don't know what kind of dress to get her.
I want something pretty , yet simple. Even though she is tall she is a young 13.
You can go to www.thereedfamily-blog.blogspot.com and you can see a picture of her ( she's my only dark haired girl).

What dress would you put her in? And where would you get it. I'm at a loss and can't seem to find what I want and need.

girlsdressline.com/communion-dresses/beaded-n-embroidered-first-communion-dress.html This one is beautiful, is it long enough? That was the longest I could find.

Try looking at white bridesmaid dresses or Quincinera dresses

Hi,

My daughter who is 8 is also receiving the sacrament of First Holy Communion this year.
As far as a dress for your daughter, I would suggest going to a Bridal Store near you
and asking them for suggestions. They are pretty helpful and they do have a lot of
experience in these types of dresses. They may suggest something that a Junior Bridesmaid might wear which is about your daughter's age. Where I live here in New York
these types of places have nice selections of these types of dresses and some of them
are appropriate for Communion. Hope this helps you.:thumbsup:

Have a Great Day...

I wouldn't go for white. I know that when I was 12/13/14 I was very aware of my newfound sexuality and vehimiantly distanced myself from anything pertaining to marriage or babies, least someone think I was getting married or had a baby.

I would go for a pretty blue dress, springish and cut just below the knees. I think the real issue will be finding a dress that is flattering since many of the styles today are for skinny girls.

I’ll second the looking in bridal stores for brides maid dresses or pageant dresses. I was 5’6 at 12 and I remember how difficult it was to find any age apporpriate dress for events :slight_smile:

Another option might be to like a simple wedding dresses (obviously not the huge bells and whistle type) and having it altered if need be .

How about something with a vintage look? Like these:
vintagestyleclothing.com/40006page.html
vintagestyleclothing.com/5901page1.html
and my fav: vintagestyleclothing.com/10709page.html

The “Titanic” style dresses are so feminine and something she might wear again (okay, we can hope). Being tall, she’s going to look good in just about anything.

Hmm, I do like that last one. I’ll have to show these to her and see what she thinks.

[quote="SeaShoreGirl, post:5, topic:231674"]
I wouldn't go for white. I know that when I was 12/13/14 I was very aware of my newfound sexuality and vehimiantly distanced myself from anything pertaining to marriage or babies, least someone think I was getting married or had a baby.

I would go for a pretty blue dress, springish and cut just below the knees. I think the real issue will be finding a dress that is flattering since many of the styles today are for skinny girls.

[/quote]

I disagree with giving her a different-color dress - white is traditional and having a color would make her stand out, if it's even allowed in their church. She'd have to agree to it, knowing that she's going to be much taller and older than most, if not all, the other girls.

Of course it is up to the family and the church to decide the norms.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:9, topic:231674"]
I disagree with giving her a different-color dress - white is traditional and having a color would make her stand out, if it's even allowed in their church. She'd have to agree to it, knowing that she's going to be much taller and older than most, if not all, the other girls.

[/quote]

I'd go for white or ivory, but with her height and age, I'd pick something geared towards a teen (finding a modest dress is the challenge here when you get into formal dresses for proms and pageants).

She's not doing first communion with a bunch of other little girls, besides her sisters. They're being recieved into the church as a family.

Right , she will be taking communion with us.
My 11 yr old will be taking it with the other little girls.

What is going to happen is My husband and I are taking communion and being confirmed at the Easter Vigil.
My two youngest will be baptized that day.
My 11 yr old will be taking communion with the other little girls ( I think she just wants a day to call her own).

I’ll have to take this all in consideration. With her being so tall I just want something geared towards her age and modest. It doesn’t matter to me if its white. But what I’m looking for is something that will look nice on her ,and has a good price to match it.

you will end up spending more money at a bridal shop
I would not try to find a “first communion dress” but look for a dress in the department for her age and size that is appropriate for Mass all throughout spring and summer, think "traditional Easter dress"
is there a requirement it has to be white?
down here where the weather is warm even now a popular style is the white cotton gauzy boho style skirt with a top either white or pastel

[quote="ThereseOfRoses, post:7, topic:231674"]

The "Titanic" style dresses are so feminine and something she might wear again (okay, we can hope). Being tall, she's going to look good in just about anything.

[/quote]

oh my goodness, I love that last dress too!

The "Titanic" style dresses are so feminine and something she might wear again (okay, we can hope). Being tall, she's going to look good in just about anything.

[/quote]

Those are all beautiful and age appropriate. Thanks for the links; I think they would also be great for those who receive Confirmation at that age and for 8th grade May queen. I have never had a child as May queen (okay only one has been through 8th grade before so I have 3 more chances) but I will forward this on to our other school families. Thanks!

perfect-bridesmaid-dresses.com/searchresults.asp?designer=Forever%20Yours&dresstype=flower&page=2

This seemed to have a lot of choices and did not seem to badly priced - there were also some light ivories and champagnes if you decide to go that route.

Those are gorgeous dresses, but do not come in my size, as I am plus sized and short at the same time... :(

[/quote]

Before you shop, it’s always a good idea to check with the parish to see if there are any requirements or restrictions. Some may allow ivory dresses, while others may specify that only white can be worn. Likewise, there may be requirements concerning the length of the sleeves and skirt. It is also a good idea to ask about veils because, depending on the parish, a veil may be compulsory, prohibited, or voluntary.

As for where to shop, the easiest place to look will be in a bridal shop. You can also try a regular department store. Sometimes they have white gowns in with the prom dresses. If price is a concern, then you may want to try a consignment boutique since their prices are typically only a fraction of what you’d pay elsewhere. If all else fails, you can always buy a patten and make one yourself if you’re talented at sewing.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

[quote="MissRose73, post:17, topic:231674"]
Those are gorgeous dresses, but do not come in my size, as I am plus sized and short at the same time... :(

[/quote]

These are from the same designer (Nataya), but this store offers her designs up to size 3X

wardrobeshop.com/catalog/12/plus_size_dresses

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.