Communion Fast - Eating by mistake

Not to beat a dead horse, but I just found something cool related to the arm crossing thing!

Aleteia had a photo gallery of First Communion photos of future saints, blesseds, venerables, and Servants of God. One of them shows the future martyr Fr. Jerzy Popieluszko, when he was just a little kid.

As you can see, the Polish kid is receiving Communion by mouth, while crossing his arms to show willingness to receive, much as various Eastern Rite folks do. (There’s a lot of crossover customs in Poland and Eastern Europe, which isn’t surprising.)

2 Likes

Sorry for late reply that s new i am hearing this for the first time ever

If you didn’t know, you didn’t know. Don’t feel bad.

But now you do know! Cool!

@CRV Post 37: Thank you for the link to the article, “Blessings in Lieu of Communion,” by Father Edward McNamara, in Rome.

Although this blessing trend apparently began in individual churches, it is clear that their bishops did not follow Vatican-approved practices, as profiled in the varying directives published by bishops around the globe—another example of why the Catholic Church needs a pope, and why bishops need to guard their flocks. Had they done so, and had priests not innovated without approval, we’d have been spared this confusion. There’s always a good reason for every single rule and tradition coming from Rome, even down to the number of buttons on the garments worn by a priest.

As for fasting, having learned to fast from food, drink, and medicines from midnight until receiving Holy Communion, current regulations pose a ridiculously puny requirement. They’re a joke! I remember crying, Sunday after Sunday, because I wasn’t old enough to receive the sacred host. Mother finally gave in and let me fast, too, before I entered school. After Vatican II, going from midnight fasting to three-hour fasting seemed sacriligious to me, and an hour now is almost, “Why bother?”

“Going up for a blessing” is just more of the “every kid needs a trophy” type of thinking in this I-want-my-fair-share society. Sigh.

1 Like

Yes, I recall the fast from midnight, both from food and drink, including water. In those days there were some teens who sometimes deliberately broke their fast by taking a drink of water, because they didn’t want to explain to mom or dad that they felt they needed to go to confession first. But it was pretty normal to go to confession every Saturday afternoon and then an early Mass on Sunday. Now, they can’t use that excuse.

1 Like

You’re welcome.

I think the idea of everyone going up for a blessing was so that everone felt included, part of one body, and also so those not in the state of grace is not so obvious especially in various places where people file up pew after pew. If one remains sitting it is very obvious. Mind you I have sat there for various reasons too, but worry more about what my Lord would have said, than about what others may be thinking.

But to be fair, I think I can recall going up for a blessing once, maybe twice but that’s all. There can also be a lot pressure for people to go and get a blessing too.

Once, swallowing toothpaste was considered breaking the fast and therefore preventing one from receiving communion.

Yes, I still remember going up to Church Saturday afternoon and getting in line with all the others.

I’ll be in line for confession during Mass tomorrow, so I won’t make it to communion I don’t think. Something else to offer up I guess.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.