Communion Fast?

I reccieved the Eucharist this morning, and cut it pretty close in regards to the fast (ie finishing breakfast at around 7am and then reccieving communion at 8am). It may well just come down to the difference between the time on the kitchen clock when I finished my meal today (703) and the time on my wristwatch when I reccieved communion, making sure I was the last person to do so (758).
Thoughts, anyone? I will most likely bring this up at my next Confession, regardless of what is said here.

You are being scrupulous.

If in the future you think you will not fulfill the fast, just refrain from going to communion. It’s that easy. You can also make it a point to get up and eat earlier or eat after mass.

You are be fine. The Communion Fast isn’t Strickland enforced to the level of an atomic clock.

You easily followed the spirit of the law in this situation.

Confess it if you like, but I’m sure you’ll be giving Father something to scratch his head at. :wink:

God Bless

I wouldnt call myself scrupulous, but okay. thank you.

You came to a forum to ask if you should confess that you may have broken the Communion fast by about 5 minutes.

If that is not scrupulous behavior, I don’t know what is.

God is not standing there with a stopwatch, just waiting for us to screw up!

The church institutes rules for good reason. I try to abide by those to the best of my abilities. As said above, I do not think I have exhibited scrupulous behavior in the past, and I do not think I was this morning. Thank you for your thoughts, though.

I don’t think it is scrupulous to worry about this. It is a rule and one not hard to abide by. In the past the communion fast was much longer. So there is no reason you can’t keep it.

In the future just don’t eat breakfast before Mass. That is what I do. That is what most people did for most of history.

Absolutely. The Mass was at my school, and I was unsure as to if I could fit in breakfast between Mass and the start of classes. In the future, I should just stick it out until lunch.

Or eat breakfast earlier.

The question has been answered. I don’t think the question itself is scrupulous. Now if there’s a pattern to repeating the question and then it’s a question of six minutes, then seven, then three weeks in a row, and fretting every time, that might indicate scrupulosity.

Yes, that is an option.
And yes, there are rules for a reason.
But when you start obsessing about the “letter” of the law and not the “spirit” of the law, you indeed are getting into dangerous territory.

I will say it again, God does not play “gotcha games”- trust in His mercy, don’t dwell in fear of His wrath.

That could be hard being in school. And being younger that can be hard too. I know when I was young I had a voracious appetite. Actually, that didn’t change just my body’s need for food decreased. So eating earlier might be best if you can. Then again people really did fast longer in the past. They were tougher than us.

eh we’re tougher than you think haha

I do think it’s scrupulous to worry that it comes down to whether your wristwatch is in sync with the cafeteria clock.

The school serves breakfast to students and then has mass with the students. It would seem the school would be allowing for the fast with the timing of breakfast and mass.

But if the OP is concerned, he need only refrain from communion. He can still eat breakfast.

Is that the concern here? I didn’t understand it to be the issue.

It really isint… I was trying to avoid breaking the fast, but I would have had the same concerns with or without a watch or clock present.

It sounded like it to me. The OP expressed that it “may come down to” the difference between the clocks and he was going to confess it. I think that’s being scrupulous, not in the clinical definition sense of the word, but I don’t think it’s something to confess. If the OP feels differently, he should certainly discuss with his pastor for guidance.

he asked what we think. I responded. I responded that I think that level of scrutiny of the clock is scrupulous and that in the future he can avoid the conflict by just not receiving if he’s unsure whether an hour has passed or not.

If you think you have cut it fine then do not receive. While it is strongly recommended to regularly receive it is only mandatory once a year during the Easter season.

I don’t necessarily think this is scrupulous either. I have checked my watch before at Mass.

You’re right, the church has these rules for a reason. I was a lapsed Catholic for a long time and thought so many of these rules were silly.

Is receiving after a 55 minute fast ok? How about 45? Where is the line? Is there really even a line? If there is a line where is it?

It’s a good question to ponder. I did it myself. God bless, praying for you.

Maybe you don’t realize it- and even if you do some people reading this might not , but just because you are assisting at Mass doesn’t obligate you to receive Communion if you aren’t sure you should.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.