Communion? for RCC from "Non-Catholic Religions" IE Protestant

I was invited to my friend church, he is catholic and also a new convert. I actually believe that the RCC view on communion is correct.

Can I partake in communion or should I?

The last time I went to mass I was denied communion by the priest because he knew I was a protestant. So I am not sure if this will give me a few more or less years in purgatory. That last bit was a joke.

No. Until you are Catholic you need to not try to take communion.

There is very good reason for this and it is spelled out in responses up in the Ask an Apologist forum where you will find the following links.

[LIST]
*][/FONT]Who Can Receive Communion?
*]Ecclesia de Eucharistia (Note especially sections 43-46)
[/LIST]
You may however offer [size=4]An Act of Spiritual Communion, which goes as follows
[/size]
My Jesus,
I believe that You
are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.
I love You above all things,
and I desire to receive You into my soul.
Since I cannot at this moment
receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart.
I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You.
Never permit me to be separated from You. Amen

You are not Catholic, so do not partake of Catholic communion. It is only for those in full communion with the Catholic Faith.

Those from other faiths wishing to become Catholic may do so through the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults and once received into the Church, may partake in holy communion…

You should refrain from receiving Communion. Even Catholics must have a 1 - 2 year preparation period before they are allowed to receive their First Communion. It is fine for you to remain in your seat while your friend goes up and receives Communion.

Communion means more than just accepting the RCC’s view on Communion. Communion is an outward sign that you agree with all that the Church teaches and that you are obedient to the Church. When you can accept this then you are ready to receive Communion in the Catholic Church because you will have become a Catholic!:slight_smile:

Dear Protestor,

Please heed St. Paul advice GOD knows many a “Catholic” should also.

When we go to take JESUS’s Body Soul and Divinity we need to be properly disposed.
Which means we have no mortal sins that have cut us off from God’s grace.

Yes there are sins that do this
I Jhon 5:17 All that is iniquity is sin. But there is a sin unto death.

The Sacrament of Confession and Reconciliation restores our soul to God’s grace.

And hopefully with prayer and Jesus’s help we can attain complete rebirth.

Also Communio is our outward sign of assent to ALL of what mother Church teaches
If you know that Jesus is really present in the Host why don’t you explore all the teachings of the Catholic Church?
Join RCIA and come home.

Peace :thumbsup:

From a non-Catholic perspective, the Catholic Church asks us not to receive. So, we should not receive. When one is a guest in another’s house, it is simply good manners to abide by the requests of the host (no pun intended). There may/are other good reasons, but this is the obvious one, the one the shows respect and Christian love.

Jon

Yes but when one is invited to commune it would be tragic not to receive Christ. The local Roman Catholic diocese allows Lutherans/ Anglicans to commune in Catholic parishes, on occasion such as weddings, baptisms, etc.

I suspect they do so in defiance of the teachings of the Catholic Church. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Jon

On the contrary, it is the official teaching of at least this U.S. Catholic diocese:

However, the Directory reminds us that “…in certain circumstances, by way of exception and under certain conditions, access to these sacraments (Eucharist, Reconciliation and Anointing of the Sick) may be permitted or even commended for Christians of other churches and ecclesial communities.” (9) This may always be done if a Christian is in danger of death (cf. section IV, below, and canon 844.4). However, Eucharist may also be given to other Christians if there is, in the judgment of the diocesan bishop or episcopal conference, some other “grave necessity” or “grave and pressing need.” (10) Consequently, just as it is inappropriate to issue a general invitation to Christians who are not Catholic to share in Holy Communion, it is equally inappropriate to make a general statement indiscriminately barring all other Christians from sharing in the sacrament. Such a total prohibition would be more limiting than the norms of the Directory and the 1996 statement of the National Conference of Catholic Bishops now published in all participation materials.

However, as mentioned above, there are occasions when sacramental sharing with other Christians is possible. Indeed, Pope John Paul II remarks that “it is a source of joy” that Catholic ministers, in particular cases, can administer sacraments to Christians with whom Catholics do not share full ecclesial communion.

•The person requesting the sacrament must be validly baptized. Baptism is valid when water is poured or the person is immersed and the trinitarian formula is used. For example, valid baptism is presumed for Episcopalians, Lutherans, Presbyterians and Methodists. (21)

•The person must manifest the faith which the Catholic Church professes in the sacrament. As a minimum for Eucharistic sharing, the person must believe that in receiving the Eucharist we receive the body and blood of Christ. In some communions this is standard dogma; for example, Episcopalians and Lutherans can be presumed to believe in the real presence. For members of other communions there may be need for some further discussion concerning their belief in the Eucharist.

•The person must ask for the sacrament freely. The request must have been initiated by the person seeking Eucharistic communion.

•The person must be unable to have recourse for the sacrament to a minister of his or her own community. This condition is met when gaining access to one’s own minister poses a reasonable physical, moral or psychological difficulty, or causes serious inconvenience for the minister or recipient.

•The person must be properly disposed to receive the sacrament. As noted above “proper disposition” is the same as required for Catholics, i.e., not conscious of serious sin (see canon 916). “Being properly disposed means being in a good relationship with God, or if not, taking whatever steps are necessary to return to a good relationship with God.” (22)

In light of the above canonical norms and pastoral reflections, the following situations are examples–not an exhaustive list-- of occasions, other than danger of death, when a “grave necessity” may be discerned and Eucharist may be shared with Episcopal or Protestant Christians if all the conditions are met:
drvc.org/the-chancery/special-circumstances-for-the-admission-of-other-christians-to-communion-at-catholic-celebrations-of-the-eucharist-in-the-diocese-of-rockville-centre.html

On the bolded, there is no ELCA Lutheran Church nearby? :confused:

Look, I don’t live in your area. My experience has always been that the request is for n-C’s not to receive. You and they are, of course, free to do what you deem fitting.

Jon

Jon

When your extended family is both Lutheran and Catholic, we seek eucharistic hospitality; I have a cousin entering the diocesan seminary in Toronto reading Catholic authors very sympathetic to ecumenical efforts w/ Anglicans/ Lutherans. Pope Benedict met with Lutheran bishops in Germany to discuss the need of married couples being able to commune together regardless the parish be Lutheran or Catholic.

One of our local Catholic churches invites Lutherans and Episcopalians to receive–as long as you ask for and receive the Pastor’s permission in advance. Their Sunday night service is popular with Lutheran and Episcopal seminarians who are looking for a more meditative experience at the end of a busy Sunday.

:dts:

Being invited by a newly Catholic friend to attend a Mass is** not an invitation** to take communion.

Please stop your disinformation. :slight_smile:

You continue to misinterpret what the Diocese instruction is on non-Catholics receiving communion at Catholic Mass. :dts:

You need to ask the Bishop of that Diocese what the instruction means, because your comprehension of it is quite flawed.

And if this youngster follows your bad advice…:tsktsk:

You may think you are doing what is right & good, but you are not. And now you are trying to convince an uninformed person to commit a grave error at Catholic Mass? :dts:

Sad.

I believe that you practice a false ecumenism based on your previous posts here at CAF, one that is not based on true communion of faith or understanding.

You seem to have an agenda, and it’s one where no one need follow the rules, or obey the Church teachings, and everyone can waltz right in and take as they please. That is very wrong and very, very disrespectful. Very.:ehh:

I believe what the Catholic Church teaches about the Eucharist, the Body and Blood of our Lord. I am a Catholic in Communion with the Catholic Church, and I believe that you, a Lutheran, having not been received into the Catholic Church, eat and drink at risk of grave and eternal peril. And you are using this forum to promote that to others.

I would remind you (once again) that the norm is, for a non-Catholic desiring to enter into communion with the Catholic Church, to go through the RCIA program and be received into full communion.

I encourage you to do so. Go through RCIA and receive holy communion as often as you wish.

In the meantime, EC, please stop taking communion in Catholic Church without the expressed permission of the Bishop.

Your church (ELCA) is not in communion with Rome, so please, please do not take communion at Mass in the Catholic Church.

It is just that simple. :shrug:

Reported.

You are clearly pushing an agenda and using this forum as a soapbox for it, and in the process you are misinforming people that visit this site about Catholic Church teaching and doctrine on the Eucharist in this and in other previous threads.

The other day I happened to be thinking about the vocally complaining non-Catholic people who want to receive Holy Communion in the Catholic Church. It occurred to me that I have **never **heard these same vocally complaining non-Catholic people protesting about not being able to go to **Confession **to a Catholic Priest. Just an observation.

Incidentally, the Church admonishes us Catholics to go to Holy Communion “prepared by the sacrament of Reconciliation”.

CCC 1389 The Church obliges the faithful to take part in the Divine Liturgy on Sundays and feast days and, prepared by the sacrament of Reconciliation, to receive the Eucharist at least once a year, if possible during the Easter season. But the Church strongly encourages the faithful to receive the holy Eucharist on Sundays and feast days, or more often still, even daily.%between%

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.