Communion host taken back to pew

There’s a lot of talk about whether to receive communion in the hand, kneeling, genuflecting before receiving, proper reverence and respect, etc., etc.

Last Sunday at Church, I noticed that the gentleman in the pew in front of mine had taken the communion host back to the pew, knelt down, then ate the host, and remained in prayer.

Has this fellow found a loophole for himself?

Please know that I will not approach him about this, I’m just curious if any of you have ever seen this.

This is absolutely not to be permitted. Redemptionis Sacramentum no. 92 makes clear, “special care should be taken to ensure that the host is consumed by the communicant in the presence of the minister, so that no one goes away carrying the Eucharistic species in his hand.”

If you’re going to approach anyone, it should be the priest – you ought to let him know that he (or the EMHC’s) should take greater care to make sure that people never walk off with the host.

It is not allowed. Period. I would definitely bring it up with your priest.

I am glad that you saw him consume the Host. We had a problem with people filching them for depraved reasons a few years ago.

(I’ve also been known to stick my arm out in the aisle and make someone else’s kid consume the Host he was carrying - parent was ahead of him and obviously did not know. I hope if someone had noticed my kid doing something similiar they’d have done the same . . .)

I have recently heard on EWTN that if you are privleged to be at a Mass with the Pope and are to receive communion from him, that if must be on the tongue, NOT in the hand. And because of this, there is speculation that he may be considering moving the entire church back to receiving only on the tongue.

I have also seen this happen on several occasions in my parish. I’m not so sure that communion in the hand is all that great. Too much opportunity for this kind of thing.

As an EC in my Parish, we are taught to make sure the recipient consumes the Host and doesn’t walk away with it in his/her hand. We are told to follow them and stop them if they do.

Thanks folks!!

:okpeople:THIS IS WHY WE NEED ALTAR RAILINGS, AND PATENS PEOPLE!

You know, you are right. That way of receiving Communion makes a lot of sense. Amen!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.