Communion in Mortal Sin

Hello all! I have been so confused about the Church today and many of Her teachings… Today I received the Eucharist while in a state of mortal sin… Or so I think it is mortal sin, the condition of gravity was sincerely met but as to whether or not I truly understood the sin, I do not know. I feel horrible and am seeking confession in the next day or two (as soon as I can get i). My question is, however, will God forgive my sin of sacrilege for receiving communion in a state of grave sin? Scriptural responses would be great.

Thank you and God bless!

God will forgive it if your sincerely sorry for what you did.

“I, I am He who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins.” (Isaiah 43:25)

“And no longer shall each man teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, `Know the LORD,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, says the LORD; for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.” (Jer 31:34)

While you were obviously aware that you were possibly in a state of mortal sin and thus should NOT have received the Eucharist, are you aware that if you come to Mass in a state of mortal sin you are not OBLIGED to receive the Eucharist? That you do not have to receive at every Mass? It is not required of you.

IOW, you did not HAVE to receive, or pile a sin on top of a possible sin. But you might not have known that, you might have thought being at Mass meant you had to receive, or you had a state of panic, or whatever.

The first thing to do is talk to a priest. If indeed you both knew the gravity, understood it and freely consented but now repent, he can forgive you. He can also address with you what to do in the future should you be in this situation again, and if you were in mortal sin, he can then also forgive the further sin of reception of the Eucharist in mortal sin.

Until then, as Blessed John Paul II said, “Be not Afraid.” You repent, you are sincerely seeking to go to sacramental confession, you will talk it all over with the priest and all will be well. God is watching over you and knows your heart and will always listen to those who seek Him with a sincere heart.

1 Like

Don’t sweat it.

Go to confession as you planned, you will be forgiven. If finding yourself in the situation again, sit out communion until you can get to confession.

:thumbsup:

1 Like

In order for something to be a mortal sin these 3 things MUST be present

1. grave matter
  2. you have to KNOW it is grave matter
  3. you have to WILLINGLY do it anyway

If anyone of those things is missing there is no mortal sin.

My spiritual director/confessor has told me that when in ***doubt ***if you are in mortal sin,
you are probably not.

Becasue you question as to whether or not you truly understand, the criteria for mortal sin have not been met. Be at ease that you did not receive while mortal sin, and remember to talk to your confessor about this at your next confession.

Peace be with you on your journey. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is only one sin which is unforgivable, the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. Many wonder what this means, but Catholic teaching is clear. It is the sin for which one does not repent and accept the mercy of God. In other words, ANY sin for which you repent will be forgiven by God. So, make an act of contrition now with a firm resolve to go to confession as soon as possible. Receive the mercy of God, do your penance and then let it go. Remember only the lesson you learned and God’s great mercy… do not let guilt or shame cling to you.

From the CCC:

1864 “Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.” There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept His mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.

1 Like

Though your sins are like scarlet
they shall be as white as snow
though they are red like crimson
they shall become like wool.
(Isaiah 1:18)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.