Communion in the Armenian Apostolic Church

I know that this may not be the best place for me to ask this question, but that I may find someone here that will be able to answer my question. I am a young protest woman dating a gentleman who happens to be armenian. He was baptized into the armenian church and he invited me to go to a church service on christmas eve (that's January 5th for armenians). Will I, as a protestant woman, be able to take communion? I am asking this because I really do not want to offend.

[quote="EqualinHim, post:1, topic:308229"]
I know that this may not be the best place for me to ask this question, but that I may find someone here that will be able to answer my question. I am a young protest woman dating a gentleman who happens to be armenian. He was baptized into the armenian church and he invited me to go to a church service on christmas eve (that's January 5th for armenians). Will I, as a protestant woman, be able to take communion? I am asking this because I really do not want to offend.

[/quote]

No, you shouldn't.

The Armenian Apostolic Church isn't in communion with your denomination (whichever it might be), and so partaking in their communion would be a huge offense in their eyes.

No one will be offended if you do not receive.

Okay, I figured I should give you some more background info about my boyfriend: he is technically a heretic because he was re-baptized as a member of a baptist church.

So, now here's the sticky situation:

I tried politely explaining to him that we should probably not receive communion out of respect for the traditions in the armenian church. He vehemently disagreed, saying that he refused to respect a rule that was disrespectful to Christ. This evolved into a huge argument. I told him about the fact that my mother is a former roman catholic, and even though she had some deep seated issues with the church, she still kept me away from the altar out of respect. Even then, he still disagreed. I got so upset that I ended up pretty much shouting at him (I started typing in caps lock, and I only do that when I'm REALLY angry!). I never knew trying to be respectful could cause so much hurt and trouble. :(

It almost seems like it's more trouble than it's worth.

EDIT:

I will like to add also that my grandma is a devout catholic, and that I have warned him not to take communion if we ever go to mass with her.

If you are not a member of the Oriental Orthodox Communion you may not partake of the Holy Eucharist in an Armenian Apostolic church, unless it is the only church available to you if you are a member of the Catholic or Eastern Orthodox churches (who both recognize the validity of their sacraments), and even then you would need permission from the priest/bishop to receive the Eucharist there.

Open communion is not practiced within Oriental or Eastern Orthodox or Catholic churches, therefore until you or your boyfriend convert, you cannot partake of the Eucharist. But you may still attend and pray along during the liturgy.

-God Bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.