"Communion of the Saints"

Hello,

This is my first time here. I have a burning question that I need answered. This is not something that is talked about in church either. I believe in ghosts. I’ve never seen one, but anyone who says they have is most likely telling the truth because there is life after death, after all. Anyway, my great aunt Shirley just died Tuesday, and my mother called me with some wierd news. She said that not long, maybe a week before she died, she said she had a dream that my granddaddy Clarence, who passed away a week before Easter, was talking to her. He said that he’s okay and that she needs to “come on because we’re going to have a party this Tuesday.” Or something like that. Who parties on Tuesday, right? Anyway, she passed away this past Tuesday. Now - here’s the thing. Neither one of them is Catholic. It makes sense that Clarence is in Heaven because he’s had some time to spend in purgatory (as we all will, i’m sure.) but for Shirley to “have a party on Tuesday” would mean that she gets a free pass into Heaven. Is this possible? Plus, dreams like this, should a person believe they are real when they happen or is it just a trick concocted by one of the devil’s angels? I had a dream once that my uncle Bill was cooking me breakfast in some random kitchen somewhere. I remember the dream, even though it was very brief, as though I had it last night. Am I to think that possibly he’s in heaven now even though he committed suicide? If this happens to me or someone I care about again, then what should I believe? what should I tell others I believe when they tell me similar stories? Please help me out. Thanks bunches.

God bless you,

Tracy Suhy

[quote=Tracy1974] I had a dream once that my uncle Bill was cooking me breakfast in some random kitchen somewhere. I remember the dream, even though it was very brief, as though I had it last night. Am I to think that possibly he’s in heaven now even though he committed suicide? If this happens to me or someone I care about again, then what should I believe? what should I tell others I believe when they tell me similar stories?
[/quote]

Tracy,

Welcome. Please hang out and look around the main site (www.catholic.com) - I think you’ll like what you read. Additionally, there’s an “Ask the Apologist” forum, where you submit a single question and they answer it with sound doctrine. An example would be the post here, where the question about your uncle is addressed. There is also a search function at the top of the screen that lets you search for key words - this would be helpful for searches for, say, “ghosts”. You’ll find posts like “Do ghosts exist?” and “What’s the Catholic theory behind such phenomena as ghosts?” I think these should help for starters.

God Bless,
RyanL

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.