communion rant

while it was nice of Father, starting before his homily, to touch on the Eucharist, and the upcoming year of the Eucharist http://forums.catholic-convert.com/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif http://forums.catholic-convert.com/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif http://forums.catholic-convert.com/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif , and for him to actually mention something about the “changes” to the liturgy in the upcoming months (maybe it’s really , really gonna happen…hmmm, i sense Co-adjutor Bishop DiNardo’s hand in this…i hope), here’s what my rant is about

in discussing that we may receive in either of two ways…here was his explanation… we can receive in the earliest way known to the Church, according to St Cyril in the 4th century, by reverently making a throne with our hands on which Jesus is placed… OR we can receive on the tongue, but if you do, make sure enough of your tongue is shown for the Host to be placed on

now i ask you…if you were indeed wavering,wondering or questioning which way to receive, based on this…what would you do

he also brought up the uniformity in posture …no individual feelings about what is “right” for you, that since we are a community and in communion with each other , we should all be doing the same thing… of course he didn’t specifically say anything about genuflecting before or kneeling to receive…but he emphasized that the “proper posture” was to bow your head to reverence the Eucharist as the person before you was receiving

comments, questions, vicious asides?

You speak of something that has been a source of personal turmoil and heartache for me, thank you for bringing it up.

I chose finally, after months of soul searching, to receive standing. This is not because it is my preference but it is obedience to the preference of my Bishop. It was also in recognition of what had become a source of pride to me. I had fallen into that venomous pit of sinful self congratulatory pride, that I was so devout by my humble posture. It had set me apart from my fellow communicants in my mind as more reverent and holy.

I remembered that our Lord himself had admonished us to not be as the hypocrites and stand up before others making such a show of our fasting and prayers, but that we should withdraw to ourselves and pray in private. So now, that is where I spend long hours on my unworthy knees, in supplication and submission to our mighty Lord.

So, I receive as is the general norm, to help me avoid this dangerous pitfall, and to help me keep in mind that I am merely a sinner like all the others. I pray to our Lady to intercede for me, and for Jesus to protect me from the fires of Hell.

I receive standing up in parishes where that is the norm, like at the parish where I attend daily mass. I receive kneeling in parishes where that is the norm, like at my own parish :slight_smile:

I try very much to avoid making a spectacle of myself at Mass because I find that it leads to pride for me.

Yes i know exactly what you mean, i hate people who make spectacles of themselves at mass, and i try not to do the same.

Its is similar with genuflecting (sp), if im at my quiet church for a prayer and there are few around, i will genuflect very low and make the sign of the cross, but if its busy and people are trying to leave or enter, its just a normal genuflect.

Its not that im somehow ashamed of it, more that i dont want people thinking its for show, and because of this it makes me uncomfortable, and im not concentrating on Christ, which is kind of the whole point of doing it in the first place…blurgh:bigyikes:

At my parish, before his Homily, Father told us he refused to let anyone leave with the communion still in their hands, and that if he saw them do this he would stop him. He said satanic cults aim to steal consecrated hosts, only from Catholic Churches, and that evil usually recognizes what the people don’t. He mentioned if the congregation didn’t believe this could happen here, they should think again. It’s not only in big cities. He also mentioned the year of the Eucharist. He also said intinction(sp?) was not allowed, and the people could risk spilling the Precious Blood. Very great priest we have.
When I am able to receive, I will most likely receive standing. I struggle with spiritual pride myself.

when over-zealous parishes removed communion rails, an offense against charity which made it more difficult or impossible for the older, frailer people to kneel to receive, they removed our obligation to do so in my book. Like most of us older folks, with nothing to hold onto I will fall either on the way down or on the way up, scarcely reverent behavior.

For those of you concerned about obedience to the law of the Church, the particular law for reception in the US is that, while those who kneel are not to be refused communion, they are to be pulled aside later and told to receive standing (meaning, of course, that particular law for the US is that kneeling is not allowed). The bishop of Arlington, VA took some heat a while back for not letting students at Christendom College kneel to receive, but he (an extraordinarily conservative bishop - no female altar servers) was merely being obedient to the particular law of the US. While I would also like to kneel, I would rather obey.

Regarding what you say, Andreas, I do believe it is up to the discretion of the individual Bishops whether they allow kneeling or not. That is what was stated in the handout we received on GIRM a few years back. As I say, I’m not a student of these things, but I did read that handout. And, I have also read that communion is not to be denied on the basis of it, as you say in your post.

As you say, obedience must take precedence over our individual preferences. As much as I may like kneeling to receive, it is the wishes of the Hierarchy that this practise be phased out.

[quote=HumbleObedience]Regarding what you say, Andreas, I do believe it is up to the discretion of the individual Bishops whether they allow kneeling or not. That is what was stated in the handout we received on GIRM a few years back. As I say, I’m not a student of these things, but I did read that handout. And, I have also read that communion is not to be denied on the basis of it, as you say in your post.

As you say, obedience must take precedence over our individual preferences. As much as I may like kneeling to receive, it is the wishes of the Hierarchy that this practise be phased out.
[/quote]

What Andreas stated is correct - it is not up to the “individual” bishops but to the local conference of bishops to decide. In the U.S. they have determined (see the GIRM) that standing is to be the norm to receive communion but that those who kneel are not to be denied but to be advised of the reason for standing rather than kneeling at a time other than at the Mass. It does not say, however, what this reason is other than for conformity.

For those who attend the TLM and the NOM, it sometimes is confusing. The liturgical norms outlined in the GIRM do not apply to the TLM. OTOH, the norms of the TLM in accordance with the 1962 missal do not apply to the NOM and indeed there is a caution to “not mix the rites”.

When I attend a TLM, I obey the norm there which is to kneel, receive on the tongue and not say “amen”. When I attend a NOM, I receive standing, on the tongue after saying “amen”.

In both cases I am being obedient to the law of the Church.

Well, I’m not sure if I picked the right thread or not, but i have my own personal rant!
First off, it hurts my knees to kneel-so I prefer standing. Also , when i receive in my hand I pause for a second (take a small step to the side so I don’t disturb others) and contemplate the mystery of it all. I’m holding our Lord in my hands. The fact that He did this for me is awesome. After I say Amen, I silently thank Him for his sacrifice, then I move on.

Now for my rant-the bowing before the presence as you receive looks so silly. Do any of you remember the Christmas tree ornaments that look like birds bending forward to drink? They fill up with red liquid or something. We had one when I was a kid, but I don’t think you can buy them anymore. Anyway, at the church where i attend morning mass after work many of the older people that attend do that “bow from the waist” thing. And then I get this image of these ornaments in my head-I almost laughed out loud one morning. (Is a hazard anyway after working all night and going to mass dog tired) The bowing would be okay (it can be reverent), except that they then walk away from the priest holding the host, eating it as if it was a bag of popcorn at a street fair.

I jst don’t understand how that can be considered reverent.
Someone please explain this to me.

joy

when we moved down here we were instructed from the pulpit to make this gesture of reverence before receiving, all the children are taught this in first communion class, so my guess is that the local bishop interpreted the directive to show a sign of reverence to mean a deep bow, and tolds the priests to so instruct the faithful. I can assure you we are not doing it for the entertainment value. My pastor told me to stop because I get dizzy and reeling when I do it, so in obedience I stopped.

kurziemom, it’s all about obedience… as asquared so appropriately explained … it doesn’t really matter what it looks like…it’s what is prescribed as appropriate by the diocesan Bishop

having said that, i guess i’m still disobedient, because i make a profound bow from the waist, instead of the nod of the head…which i don’t consider reverent at all…i guess this is progress though , since i always use to genuflect before receiving

That’s interesting, in light of the fact that it used to be the custom that one would bow their head at the name of Jesus, something that was considered highly reverent…

I have never seen anyone genuflect before recieving communion. My husband chooses to take it on the tongue because he feels the body of christ is too special and important to touch with your hands. He feels only the priest should.

I recievie kneeling. Personally, that is my way of saying I’m unowrthy. Not to get too off topic, but what’s up with the Creed? When we say the Angelus, we’re supposed to genuflect at “The Word was made Flesh…” But when we say the same words in Mass, some bow it seems, some do nothing. Don’t really see any genuflections there. Where’s the consistancy?!

[quote=otm]That’s interesting, in light of the fact that it used to be the custom that one would bow their head at the name of Jesus, something that was considered highly reverent…
[/quote]

and is something i still do when i mention His Name in the Hail Mary while praying the Rosary…isn’t it a little different though, to be in the actual Presence of Jesus… don’t you think that should require of us a little more than a simple bow of the head … communion rails definitely had the right idea…a lot closer to being prostrate before the Lord

[quote=Voice_Of_Reason]I recievie kneeling. Personally, that is my way of saying I’m unowrthy. Not to get too off topic, but what’s up with the Creed? When we say the Angelus, we’re supposed to genuflect at “The Word was made Flesh…” But when we say the same words in Mass, some bow it seems, some do nothing. Don’t really see any genuflections there. Where’s the consistancy?!
[/quote]

you are suppose to bow at the part of the Creed where it says “by the power of the Holy Spirit, He was born of the Virgin Mary, and became man”… if your congregation is not, then the priest is not leading them to do what they should be doing… i have no idea if this is something the Bishop can establish as a diocesan norm… all i can tell you, is that in the Missal, it instructs all to bow

i’m curious…are you in a communion line when you receive kneeling or at a communion rail… while you are never to be refused communion while kneeling, it would be cause for “pastoral instruction” with the emphasis on the need for communal unity in our diocese

[quote=StephiePea]I have never seen anyone genuflect before recieving communion. My husband chooses to take it on the tongue because he feels the body of christ is too special and important to touch with your hands. He feels only the priest should.
[/quote]

and that is the norm for most of the Church…to receive on the tongue… it was in the mid to late 70’s that the US bishops got the dispensation for the US to receive in the hand:( :eek: :rolleyes: …but it is valid both ways for us now…i just know in my short almost 7 years as a Catholic, i have always received on the tongue

[quote=Voice_Of_Reason]I recievie kneeling. Personally, that is my way of saying I’m unowrthy. Not to get too off topic, but what’s up with the Creed? When we say the Angelus, we’re supposed to genuflect at “The Word was made Flesh…” But when we say the same words in Mass, some bow it seems, some do nothing. Don’t really see any genuflections there. Where’s the consistancy?!
[/quote]

We are supposed to genuflect at those words (the words of incarnation) on the Feast of the Annunciation and Christmas. So the tradition is maintained, it just isn’t done all the time. I think at the TLM, they genuflect at that part always but I don’t attend that regularly enough to say for sure.

[quote=kmktexas]We are supposed to genuflect at those words (the words of incarnation) on the Feast of the Annunciation and Christmas. So the tradition is maintained, it just isn’t done all the time. I think at the TLM, they genuflect at that part always but I don’t attend that regularly enough to say for sure.
[/quote]

Yes, at a TLM you kneel at the “Man became flesh…” in the Creed and the Last Gospel[John I]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.