Communion refused

Well if you wanted to be closer to your Faith then you should have refrained. Your daughter received a blessing at the end of the Mass.

God is not your Lord alone, but Lord of all who are called to Him.

Your defensiveness is problematic in of itself.

The Church doesn’t need another saviour, we already have one.

Holy Communion is only for the Holy ?

Gee, excuse me if myself a sinner, chose to belong to the Church and receive Holy Communion.

I’m just curious why do you call it a Church service and not Mass. Was it not a Mass?

Read 1 Corinthians 11:23-34.

St Paul was writing to the Church at Corinth where he learned that the Eucharistic Celebration, which was one in homes at that time, were being treated as a party with eating and drinking and where non-believers were attending and receiving the Eucharist.

It’s a far fetch to try and claim that a priest knows if a person is worthy to receive or not at a regular Mass and therefore correct in withholding Communion for this woman’s daughter.

Even Cardinal Dolan, when he was president of the USCCB, said he would never use the sacrament as a weapon to get people in line, when he was asked about refusing pro-choice Catholic politicians the sacrament,

Remember that when Jesus instituted the sacrament of the Holy Eucharist at the Last Supper, the Apostles were all sinners who had not attended any formal confession,

I never said a Priest knows all the time.

But when he does, he should guard the Sacrament.

Are you aware martyrs have died preserving the sanctity of the Eucharist?

Regardless of what you think, it is defined that it is sinful to recieve Holy Communion in a state of mortal sin.
It is grave matter and often considered one of if not the worst sins one can do.
It can be a cause for condemnation and curses, when the Eucharist should be a cause of graces, blessings, and salvation.

Let us attend!

Here is WHY the Priest was just doing his DUTY [he was not being arbitrarily judgmental]

If the priest had information we don’t know about

1Cor.11 Verses 23 to 30

[23] For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread,
[24] and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.”
[25] In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.”
[26] For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.
[27] Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord.
[28] Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup.
[29] For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself.
[30] That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died. [dead=spiritually]

Pray very much

So-- I didn’t quite catch. When was your last confession? When was your last communion? When was your last Mass?

If you asked me those three questions, I could tell you my answers. :slight_smile:

There’s a big difference between “I didn’t go to confession before Mass!” and “I last went to confession ten years ago!”

I’m sorry about your mother’s passing— but keep your feelings of wanting to be closer to your faith, and do things properly, in their proper order. A big part of Catholic teaching is that certain things are beneficial when used in the way they’re intended, but they’re equally harmful when misused in a way that’s not intended. I suspect the priest was trying to protect you.

The point is: a priest is not to do that in the midst of the procession for Communion.

No. This is why the diocese is to be notified of the actions of the priest.

The Holy Father explains the matter quite well in Evangelii Gaudium:

The Eucharist, although it is the fullness of sacramental life, is not a prize for the perfect but a powerful medicine and nourishment for the weak. These convictions have pastoral consequences that we are called to consider with prudence and boldness. Frequently, we act as arbiters of grace rather than its facilitators. But the Church is not a tollhouse; it is the house of the Father, where there is a place for everyone, with all their problems.

Not the way you are interpreting it.

I was curious about this too. Something seems fishy about the entire post.

Was this “service” a Mass?

Didn’t Jesus say something about the physician came to treat the sick not hang out with healthy.

I think our current pope might have said something about the church being a hospital to treat the wounded

Precisely correct

How am I interpreting it in your opinion, Reverend Father?

What I mean by that is one must be reconciled to the Church via Sacramental Confession prior to reception of Communion.

@Spyridon, where in her statement lead you to believe she hasn’t been to Confession in over a year? And in regards to Reconciliation, must it always be done before receiving communion?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit