communion

If Pope Francis were to relax the rules for remarried divorced Catholics in the upcoming synod would such a development be according to the CCC?

I didn’t think even a pope could relax the rules, because they were put in place by Christ.

A divorced person who has not had their marriage annulled is still married. A person who is already married may not marry another person. This is not something the Church can change or “relax”.

If someone is living with another person as husband and wife (i.e. having sex) they are committing a mortal sin and so may not take Holy Eucharist. This also is not something the Church can change.

In short, the Pope has no authority to “relax” the rules in this case.

Instead of speculating on what might be said at the synod, and most especially instead of listening to the media’s distortions of what Pope Francis does or does not say, please read the document released to the public by the Synod of Bishops
vatican.va/roman_curia/synod/documents/rc_synod_doc_20131105_iii-assemblea-sinodo-vescovi_en.html

Note that this document is mostly a series of questions that will be asked of the bishop-participants.

The Pope Cannot do this. I bet my faith on it.

But the media will have a year to distort guess, and advance their anti Christ agenda.:rolleyes:

The pope has not got the authority to do this, he is The vicar of Christ. Do you really think Jesus would allow this? Remember what Jesus said about it.

The words and teachings of Jesus Christ on divorce are clear, and it is the responsibility of the Church and its pastors to safeguard, proclaim, and defend them. Let us, therefore, turn our attention to the words of Christ Himself recorded in the Gospel of Matthew:

“And Pharisees came up to him and tested him by asking, ‘Is it lawful to divorce one’s wife for any cause?’ He answered, ‘Have you not read that he who made them from the beginning made them male and female, and said, “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one”? So they are no longer two but one. What therefore God has joined together, let not man put asunder.’ They said to him, ‘Why then did Moses command one to give a certificate of divorce, and to put her away?’ He said to them, ‘For your hardness of heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for unchastity, and marries another, commits adultery; and he who marries a divorced woman, commits adultery.’"[1]

The Pope will probably say something like the Catholic Church needs to be more merciful and forgiving and that in some cases it should be allowed. What Jesus said will not matter to most people. They will listen to the Pope and those that agree with him.

Isn’t the teachings that Jesus gave about His church what matters? The pope is Jesus’ representative here on earth and the pope lives by the teachings Jesus gave us. The pope is guided by the Holy Spirit ?

Yes I agree the pope is Jesus representative here on earth.

First Letter of John Chapter 2 verse 4

Whoever says , “I know him,” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoever keeps his word , the love of God is truly perfected in him.

I have a little more faith in Francis than that.!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.