communion

When I went up to recieve communion this sunday, my 3 year old (walking beside me…I had just put him down so I could recieve communion) reached for the paten (sp?) and came 4 inches from grabbing it. I was so embarassed!

Obviously I need to do something differently next week. If I continue to hold him, it’s hard to hold my hands in the proper position to recieve.

I thought about receiving on my tongue but no one in my church ever does that (as far as I can tell).

What about letting your 3 year old walk in front of you and holding his/her hands across his/her chest until after he/she is blessed and then reaching up to receive communion? Of course, there is always the tongue. I have heard that the preferred way to receive is on the tongue, but many people no longer do it that way.

If you think your 3yo will do it (ie, giving him a “big boy” responsibility) you could try having him go ahead of you with his arms crossed across his chest, to receive a blessing by the priest – this has been a big success with my little relatives. :slight_smile:

On the other hand, if this doesn’t seem like it is going to be a good solution, by all means receive on the tongue. Receiving Holy Communion on the tongue is the universal norm for the Church – the United States had to get special permission to receive in the hand! Never be afraid or ashamed of receiving on the tongue, whether or not other people do it.

Caution - once one begins to receive on the tongue, chances are that you will never want to receive in the hand again!! :smiley: (Besides feeling more appropriate in itself, you never have to worry about having crumbs on your hands again, or worry about whether you washed your hands, or worry about the germs you might have picked up during the sign of peace…)

+veritas+

May I suggest just to receive on the tongue.

I am happy to read your little one wants to participate! :smiley:

Just because no one else receives on the tongue, does not make it wrong. As was written previously … I believe it is the “norm” and “preferred” … to receive on the tongue.

Thanks for posting it made me smile,

Joe

What about the germs you pick up from the fingers of the minister?
After distributing to a few tongues, I would never receive on the tongue, unless I were the first to receive. I try to be very careful, but invariably someone touches my fingers with their tongue or lips. Sometimes after that, the next host sticks to my fingers, and almost dropped a few times. I don’t mind in the hospital, since I can wash my hands after each patient.

SuZ

Maybe I’ll work up the courage to receive on the tongue. I’d really like to, I’m just embarassed since no one else seems to.
My son does want to participate. Once while walking back to the pew, he yelled, “I want one too!!”:crying: Everytime I put him down I worry that he will run up to the altar and I would have to go get him.:eek:

[quote=lovelavender]Maybe I’ll work up the courage to receive on the tongue. I’d really like to, I’m just embarassed since no one else seems to.
My son does want to participate. Once while walking back to the pew, he yelled, “I want one too!!”:crying: Everytime I put him down I worry that he will run up to the altar and I would have to go get him.:eek:
[/quote]

A little courage can be a good thing. As for your “runaway” – that’s motherhood! Enjoy it while it lasts.

lovelavender,
I too was embarrassed to receive Communion on the tongue because nobody else in my parish does. If there are any, they are few. Last week, I decided to go against the grain. Nobody laughed or pointed. It is permitted and if you feel it is the proper way, then go for it. And while I was at it, I didn’t join hands during the Lord’s Prayer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.