Compact Catholic Bible

I am having a bit of a hard time trying to find a compact bible (like one that would fit easily in a small shoulder bag) that is still easy to read. I know Ignatius Press has their rsv-ce Bible with the zipper. I am not of fan of zippers. Any suggestions? You can also talk of the merits of the translation as well.

There is a New Testament and Psalms Revised Standard Version-Catholic Edition, Second Edition dimensions 4 3/8" x 6 3/4" x 3/4, no zipper, from Ignatius Press.

Can’t get any more compact than an app on your phone.

:thumbsup:

:smiley:

I carry 5 or 6 bibles, the lectionary, missal, catechism and about 200 other books around with me every day on my tablet; all completely cross linked (gotta love Verbum). But… I still like to read through actual paper books since I haven’t managed to find the equivalent of flipping through electronic copies when I don’t know what God wants to say to me.

Okay, not sure how compact you are talking about (small shoulder bag does really help me unfortunately). Oxford University Press has a compact RSV-CE that is 6 in x 4.8 in x 1.1in without zippers. It is published under ISBN 978-0195288568.

The RSV-CE is okay, but I prefer the second edition (RSV-2CE) as they fixed some translation issues. Unfortunately the smaller versions I know of off the top of my head are zippered.

If you like the older, elevated English, Baronius Press prints both a “pocket sized” (4.25x6.85) full Douay Rheims Bible and a pocket sized Douay Rheims New Testament and Psalms (which actually does fit comfortably in my back pocket).

:thumbsup:

I had this bible in mind as well. Its a good balance of type size and compactness. It is also an indicator that I need to get an eye-exam years after the prior one.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.