Companies who're pro-gay marriage, what do?

So in USA Today there was an article called "In gay marriage fight, some companies take a stand" and it mentions places like Amazon.com, JC Penny, and the General Mills company, as being supporters of gay marriage. Does this mean we should not shop there anymore/ buy their products/use their services?

And really, this question is for any occasion where we learn a company is pro-something we, as Catholics, are against. Do we buy from them?
Or is that going too far?

For one thing, this is kinda rather depressing, seeing how far gone this whole thing is...and it really seems to be getting only worse. =/

Thanks!
Grey

Ah, I just realized this topic/thread might not be in the right forum. If it's not, I humbly request that it be moved to the correct one, and any discussion that results be allowed to continue. Thanks!
G

[quote="GreyRabbit, post:1, topic:293192"]
So in USA Today there was an article called "In gay marriage fight, some companies take a stand" and it mentions places like Amazon.com, JC Penny, and the General Mills company, as being supporters of gay marriage. Does this mean we should not shop there anymore/ buy their products/use their services?

And really, this question is for any occasion where we learn a company is pro-something we, as Catholics, are against. Do we buy from them?
Or is that going too far?

Thanks!
Grey

[/quote]

Since it seems like a domino effect where almost everyone is going to give in to liberal mainstream media propaganda which aggressively rejects the truth about marriage, I will try my best to avoid the worst of the offenders of traditional family values and morality. But if I do go into one of these stores, I plan to do so wearing a T-shirt that has an unmistakably Pro-Catholic theme to it to show my support for the Catholic Church since she is the one who won't change her teachings about marriage and is therefore the main target of family values opponents.

Starbucks.

To me, a boycott is praiseworthy, but optional. If you can live without the product/service, if you have an alternate source that isn't quite so evil, vote with your pocketbook. If you really dig, you will find that the vast majority of big companies doing business here in the US are supporting evil, whether by direct corporate donations, someone high up making personal donations, or even company-sponsored matching donations for employee donations.

This latter can be the stickiest. If you were a company making matching donations, would you want to veto every possible charity that employees could fund? And open yourself up to a lot of hurt and maybe a discrimination lawsuit? Sure, you can make a matching donation to Catholic Charities, are you going to deny a matching donation to Planned Parenthood?

Sorry, but companies should not be taking political stands.

Individuals are free to do what they choose, but taking company money to promote causes, especially controversial causes, is disgusting. That just ensures that any customer the company may have, ends up donating to a political cause that they may or may not agree with.

Am closing my Amazon account and emailing the reason. Nice place to do business and I enjoy the deals, but...

You could give your money to the Knights of Columbus. We'd be perfectly pleased to continue defending traditional marriage, fighting abortion, standing up for religious freedom, inserting "Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance, protecting families around the world, supporting vocations to the priesthood and religious life, and insuring our members and their families against the inevitable scourges of death and disease. We wouldn't refuse your money.

I work for General Mills and found this news disheartening. It seems to be more the actions of the CEO. They provide insurance for gay partners, which I don't agree with. Other than that they do not force homosexual ideology down our throats... yet. My career with them is now no longer a certainty. It's sad because they treat all employees quite well. They are lost in the secular world.

[quote="onceablasphemer, post:8, topic:293192"]
I work for General Mills and found this news disheartening. It seems to be more the actions of the CEO. They provide insurance for gay partners, which I don't agree with. Other than that they do not force homosexual ideology down our throats... yet. My career with them is now no longer a certainty. It's sad because they treat all employees quite well. They are lost in the secular world.

[/quote]

Sadly, CEOs like Mr. Bezos seem to be better ideologues than corporate executives. Whatever happened to neutrality? Business sense? Common sense?

Same-sex marriage was voted down by the people every time it appeared on the ballot and there are millions of people in the United States. So, what could gay activists do? Convince a handful of politicians, judges and companies to support gay marriage publicly. This is open scandal and sends the message that gay marriage is good or OK.

Heads of companies are supposed to be not just good businessmen but partners with their customers and society at large. In other words, they should, when they endorse anything, keep the general welfare of the public who are their customers, and people in general, in mind. Those who are wealthy should go good, but by offering a bad example, they are not doing good. They are harming the reputation of themselves, as individuals, and their companies' reputations in the mind of the public.

A peaceful boycott and polite e-mails to all involved would be appropriate. All of us, wealthy or poor, need to do what we can, for the good, for our neighbor. As a nation, we also present an image to the world as well.

But let me underscore that anyone who teases, bullies, threatens or physically harms a gay person is 100% wrong. The Church is concerned about the normalization of gay marriage. Today, even comic books with gay characters and "gay marriage" are appearing. Again, all it takes is convincing those at the top. Another handful of people.

Peace,
Ed

COLOR="RoyalBlue"This seems to be an older thread but i have just decided to boycott apple the company because of the companies support of same sex marraige. I was not really a fan of Starbucks but i will keep them on my do not buy from list. SWtarbucks has a boycott them page on Facebook for the same reason so i followed suit.

:):):)

This thread has been dormant for a considerable period. With rare exceptions, reviving threads after a protracted period of inactivity is discouraged because:

the issues that spurred them are often no longer "hot" or current topics, explaining why thread activity ceased originally.
posters originally involved in the discussion are sometimes no longer active on the forum and, therefore, unavailable to reply to comments added to the thread.

Our experience suggests that, when a topic merits revival, it is best accomplished by initiating a new thread that draws on recent events and can be posted to contemporaneously. This eliminates the baggage of folks being frustrated by asking and not receiving responses to issues raised in early posts (because the new poster didn't notice that the post he was responding to was made a long time ago).

Posters are very welcome to open a new thread on the subject or any other topic, as well as to actively participate in the myriad active threads in the fora.

Thank you to all those who have participated in this discussion. This thread is now closed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.