Companions of the Cross

I just found these guys on the internet and they seem very interesting. I am discerning a call to the priesthood. these guys seem promising, has anyone heard of them or does anyone know anything about them?

companionscross.org/

Just wanted to say congratulations on your vocation.

It just so happens that the Companions of the Cross run three parishes that I am very familia with. They are a very young order, only 25 years old nad are based out of Canada. They are a young group of priest filled with the Holy Spirit and a zeal for evangelization. Still being a relative small order, I was able to meet most of them at a gathering a couple of years ago. Their order oporates on a communal model which means three or more share and live at the same place. They are similar in organization to the Camilite order.
They are certainly worth looking into.

I do not think they are similar to the Carmelites at all.

I do live in Canada and receive their newsletter and they are very orthodox. They are Charismatic also...certainly worth praying about it and looking into it.

Their founder, Fr Bob Bedard is incapacitated anymore but he was dynamic and mightily used by the Spirit. Please pray for him and his community.

An order of sisters also started to form from this very group...

Being in Halifax, Canada, I can say I’m in one of the few cities which the Companions pass between. Apart from this location, you have Toronto, Canada, and the American state of Texas. They’re hosted around several cities, and certainly seem to move a lot.

I’ve only ever met one priest of the society. He most often seems to preside over the 5 P.M. Mass at the Cathedral, and is likely engaged in some sort of youth apostolate at the local universities. His enthusiasm for youth-oriented liturgy and charismatic prayer are quite obvious; though not to my taste, the way of this priest is most certainly sincere. You can see the gleam in a Companion’s eyes, and within that tiny shimmer is the consuming fire. :slight_smile:

their website seem a bit ambiguous on this matter. but does anyone know if they are actually a Society of Apostolic Life or if they are somehow waiting on the official designation. as I understand new orders must be approved by the Holy Father. It seems a bit as though they are still waiting on the official designation. does anyone know anything about this?

The Companions of the Cross is a Society of Apostolic Life based in Ottawa, Ontario
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Companions_of_the_Cross

Canonical approval came from Rome in the Fall of 2002.to formally establish the Companions of the Cross as a new Society of Apostolic Life - The Companions of the Cross are a new community of priests and seminarians - our charism is evangelization - our s ...
catholicanada.com/directory/community-life/consecrated-life/society-of-apostolic-life.html

These constitutions and rules were eventually submitted to the Holy See in Rome for approval. Canonical approval came from Rome in the Fall of 2002. This provided Archbishop Marcel Gervais with the necessary means to formally establish the Companions of the Cross as a new Society of Apostolic Life during a solemn Eucharistic celebration held at Notre Dame Basilica on May 2nd 2003. The Companions give thanks to God for this milestone moment in their history.
companionscross.org/whoweare/founder.html

They are a Society of Apostolic Life. I attended their celebration Mass at Notre Dame Cathedral when this happened. As such, they still report to the Bishop and get their assignments from him.

Incidentally, His Grace Arshbishop Terrence Prendergast has, as of yesterday, assigned Companions to two new Parishes in Ottawa. They now are in:

• St. Mary’s (their home base).
  • Holy Redeemer.
  • St. Maurice.
  • Blessed Sacrament (new).
  • Annunciation of the Lord (new).

Anyway, I’ve been in Ottawa for several years and know SEVERAL Companion’s of the Cross. As mentioned they are VERY orthodox. Also notable that they have one of the very few officially fully BLIND priests. Father Tim uses his memory and braille to do the Mass parts (in an incredibly funny moment, he once said during a homily that to highlight his Bible he’d have to use something sticky over the braille so it would stand out from the other bumps!).

They’re also charismatic (think Steubinville, if you’ve ever gone). So if you’re not a fan of that, they might not be for you. But if you’re into the Charismatic renewal and want orthodoxy, head to the Companions. If you want more traditional and still orthodox, you hit up the FSSP.

If you have questions about them, let me know. I’m not kidding when I say I know a large number of their priests, and know a lot about the order.

I have worked with the companions for a number of years, orthodox would not be a term I would use to describe them, they follow the liturgy closely and are very much priest post Vatican II, Charismatic definitely , their call is to a new evangelization.

Please elaborate.

How is being faithful to the liturgy, following Vatican II, being charismatic (a movement approved of by the Church) and practicing the “new evangelization” not orthodox?

Yes, this means they are orthodox. Following Vatican II is what it actually means to be an orthodox Catholic.

They ARE orthodox. If they are not, I’d like you to come up with another term that describes:

• A group that are recognized a Society of Apostolic Life.
  • A group that 100% follows the teachings of the Catholic Church.
  • A group that fully follows the authority of Rome.
  • A group that are fully obedient to the Bishop of their diocese.
  • A group that remains consistent on all of Church teachings.

I’ve known several of them for some time. They preach, nor commit, any heresy. You might be thinking that they are not “***O***rthodox”, but I assure you they are orthodox.

[quote="Melchior, post:12, topic:227727"]
They ARE orthodox. If they are not, I'd like you to come up with another term that describes:

• A group that are recognized a Society of Apostolic Life.
  • A group that 100% follows the teachings of the Catholic Church.
  • A group that fully follows the authority of Rome.
  • A group that are fully obedient to the Bishop of their diocese.
  • A group that remains consistent on all of Church teachings.

I've known several of them for some time. They preach, nor commit, any heresy. You might be thinking that they are not "Orthodox", but I assure you they are orthodox.

[/quote]

My definition of orthodox may be a little differnent. I see orthodoxy as following all that say in a very strict unbending way way. Let's say being straight laced.
They follow all of the above, but they are very progressive when it comes to the the chrisms of the Holy Spirit, i.e. speaking in tongues, laying on of hands, healings.
Even at some times taking small liberties with the liturgy, but not abuse.
This isn't a charge against them, I havebeen associated with them for many years and are freinds with a couple.

I’ve never experienced them, but I have friends who speak very highly of them. Archbishop Prendergast doesn’t seem to have a problem with them, so I don’t see any problems.

Personally speaking, I probably wouldn’t frequent one of their parishes because charismatic isn’t my cup of tea. But, just because I don’t like it doesn’t make it any less orthodox.

All I know that most of their parishes are FULL!:thumbsup: And that includes children and youth…:thumbsup:

There was an gambling scandal involving the priest at Blessed Sacrament in downtown Ottawa. He was very well known within the community, so there’s some fallout from that. Obviously the next priest that comes in will have their hands full.

It should come as no surprise, then, that Archbishop Prendergast has assigned of the Companion’s of the Cross that parish.

Again, they do great things and are 100% faithful to the Bishop of Rome.

To the original poster, they do “come and see” weekends, if I’m not mistaken. If you want I can find out more information for you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.