Company has 'parted ways' with PR exec after tweet on AIDS, Africa and race

*An Internet conglomerate said Saturday that it had “parted ways” with one of its public relations executives after a post from her Twitter account said: “Going to Africa. Hope I don’t get AIDS. Just kidding. I’m white!” *

usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/21/21998413-company-has-parted-ways-with-pr-exec-after-tweet-on-aids-africa-and-race?lite

This was on HLN this morning. What I can't figure out is how someone could be so stupid and still get so high up the corporate ladder.

She was Communications Director for her company. Doesn't that mean she was in charge of public relations?

You have to be very careful what you put out there on the Internet. Even if you don't mean what you say.

Her twitter account was harvested by a number of news sites when this story broke. This was far from the only or even most unprofessional post made.

The craziest thing to me, isn't her insensitivity and unprofessionalism or immaturity, but how quickly this went viral. She literally made a crude, insensitive, sarcastic(?) tweet to friends before boarding a plane, the tweet went viral during her flight while she wasn't aware. Landed, her cell phone blew up with messages about it, and she immediately deleted the account.

[quote="DaveBj, post:2, topic:348919"]
This was on HLN this morning. What I can't figure out is how someone could be so stupid and still get so high up the corporate ladder.

[/quote]

Professional success is not directly related to intelligence.

What she was was very offensive.

[quote="gilliam, post:4, topic:348919"]
You have to be very careful what you put out there on the Internet. Even if you don't mean what you say.

[/quote]

Be careful with email too - don't write anything you don't want to make public. Even if you "erase" your hard drive, the FBI (among others) can detect what you erased.

There's also keystroke logging...

The point is, although you may think the private info you type into your computer is private, don't count on it!

[quote="captainrick, post:7, topic:348919"]
Be careful with email too - don't write anything you don't want to make public. Even if you "erase" your hard drive, the FBI (among others) can detect what you erased.

[/quote]

Yes, a lot of people handle your email.

Well if they get ahold of your hard drive or an image of it they can recover what you erase if you don't overwrite it a number of times. Then again, you can take an axe to your hard drive and that will take care of it.

There's also keystroke logging...

That isn't used very often. Ever tried it? Great way of filling up your storage space!

The point is, although you may think the private info you type into your computer is private, don't count on it!

Encryption the best way of protecting info on your hard drive. That is how Snowden did it.

[quote="gilliam, post:1, topic:348919"]

*An Internet conglomerate said Saturday that it had “parted ways” with one of its public relations executives after a post from her Twitter account said: “Going to Africa. Hope I don’t get AIDS. Just kidding. I’m white!” *

usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/21/21998413-company-has-parted-ways-with-pr-exec-after-tweet-on-aids-africa-and-race?lite

[/quote]

This is what passes for wit among men of low taste. :rolleyes:

Still, not sure if firing her was the most appropriate response, unless she was a repeat offender.

[quote="InigoMontoya, post:5, topic:348919"]
snip

Professional success is not directly related to intelligence.

[/quote]

Neither is political success.

[quote="RPRPsych, post:9, topic:348919"]

Still, not sure if firing her was the most appropriate response, unless she was a repeat offender.

[/quote]

From what I have read, she has made ill-advised tweets in the past, although nothing as shocking as this last one.

Apparently she served as the company's liaison with reporters. The public face of a company should not have such a tarnished image.

She was their communications director. I would think understanding the impact social media has on a person’s career and the company a person works for would be a basic requirement for such a job.

[quote="oldcatholicguy, post:12, topic:348919"]
She was their communications director. I would think understanding the impact social media has on a person's career and the company a person works for would be a basic requirement for such a job.

[/quote]

I get it. Thanks, guys. It's absolutely true that if she's a communications director, she ought to know better! :p

[quote="oldcatholicguy, post:12, topic:348919"]
She was their communications director. I would think understanding the impact social media has on a person's career and the company a person works for would be a basic requirement for such a job.

[/quote]

Even teenagers should be taught the basic maxim, "Say it, forget it. Write it, regret it."

You can get away with a lot of stupid stuff when it is done privately and your friends understand that it was a bad attempt at humor. For a corporate PR executive to do this means a new career path is in order. This is right up there with sexting to minors by congressmen on the stupid scale.

Wow… that comment was disgusting. But, what I can't figure out is how someone of such little importance got so much attention so quickly.

[quote="SeannyM, post:15, topic:348919"]
Wow… that comment was disgusting. But, what I can't figure out is how someone of such little importance got so much attention so quickly.

[/quote]

Social media is a powerful force. Just a few key people can bring about a lot of exposure that compounds on it's self. People pay big dollars to analyze and attempt to understand the phenomena.

[quote="InigoMontoya, post:16, topic:348919"]
Social media is a powerful force. Just a few key people can bring about a lot of exposure that compounds on it's self. People pay big dollars to analyze and attempt to understand the phenomena.

[/quote]

Still, to be on basically the same level as a Charlie Sheen comment??? It seems slightly more attention than is called for. Plus, not even close to being as humorous as some of the Sheen drama.

I've often questioned the legality/constitutionality of corporate social media policies. People should be able to say whatever they want, regardless of how inane it is, when they're off-the-clock, not serving in any official capacity, and not using company resources to make such statements.

What a vile thing to say.

[quote=EmperorNapoleon] I’ve often questioned the legality/constitutionality of corporate social media policies. People should be able to say whatever they want, regardless of how inane it is, when they’re off-the-clock, not serving in any official capacity, and not using company resources to make such statements.
[/quote]

Tell that to Phil Robertson and his after hours GQ interview.

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.