Comparing Confessional Protestantism and The Catholic Faith

wscal.edu/clark/Ref-RomeChart1.pdf

wscal.edu/clark/Ref-RomeChart2.pdf

I found these two charts comparing and contrasting The Catholic Faith with Confessional Protestantism (historical Protestantism). They appear accurate. What do you think? If covers most of the core doctrines of the Christian Faith. Hopefully, this will be a tool that can be used for Christian unity and honest discussion.

Is there a particular doctrine on the two charts that we should start with to discuss?

When you say Confessional Protestantism, which Confession are you talking about–Augsburg (Luther), Westminster (Calvinism), etc.?

When you look at the charts, the Confessional Protestant answer can have the Lutheran confession, and the Reformed confession. Check out the chart, and let’s start on the very first doctrine on the charts. This is an educational Christian site and we are on the non-catholic portion of the site. :slight_smile: Let’s cover all of it on in orderly fashion. I will have to trust the Catholics to tell me if the chart is incorrect when describing the Catholic side of the charts. Maybe at the end of this thread, we can both represent the other Christian community’s beliefs with accuracy?

There are 16 topics discussed on the two charts. Here are the first 2 that is open for discussion.

Nature/Grace

Catholic: Creation “participates in Being.” which is God. Grace prefects nature. Creation per se is in need of grace.

Confessional Protestant: Humans are only analogues to God. Grace renews fallen nature. Creation per se is good and was corrupted only by sin.

Authority**
Catholic: God is the source through the church by her living tradition and Scripture.

Confessional Protestant: God is the source through the Scripture to the church so that the Scripture is read in and with the church but it alone is the norm for life and doctrine.

.:slight_smile:

I disagree. Dr. Clark inadequately represents Catholic teaching pretty much across the board. He is viewing Catholicism through his Reformed theology, not as Catholics view things. His terminology is Reformed. So, it may appear accurate in the Reformed column, but it is not accuate in the Catholic column.

I do not think it is a tool that can be used for “Christian unity” nor for honest discussion, because it does not accurately represent the Catholic position. Not to mention, neither the Reformed (which itself has numerous different, mutually exclusive variations of doctrines within different denominations) nor the Catholic position can be adequately expressed in one or two sentences as Dr Clark attempts to do.

Okay, I need Catholics to correct where Dr Clark is wrong. Let’s start with the first two points on grace and authority. Please make the correction where necessary on grace and authority.

Nature/Grace

Catholic: Creation “participates in Being.” which is God. Grace prefects nature. Creation per se is in need of grace.

Confessional Protestant: Humans are only analogues to God. Grace renews fallen nature. Creation per se is good and was corrupted only by sin.

Authority

Catholic: God is the source through the church by her living tradition and Scripture.

Confessional Protestant: God is the source through the Scripture to the church so that the Scripture is read in and with the church but it alone is the norm for life and doctrine.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.