Comparing Credibility of Private Revelations

Obviously Public Revelation (Scripture, Sacred Tradition, Magisterium-defined dogmas) are all necessary for our Faith. Below those, and far less important, is there any ranking of approved Private Revelations in terms of the Church suggesting them for our consideration?

Clearly, the reported revelations of Our Lady of Fatima are given more credence than unapproved ones, like Bayside, for instance, but how does the Fatima message compare in the eyes of the Church with the revelations to St. Faustina, for instance?

Perhaps this is a separate question, but I invite readers to suggest what they think are the most influential approved private revelations among Catholics today; influential does not necessarily equate to any ranking by the Church. I suspect this may vary by country.

I don’t think the Church has ever “ranked” them (and She would have no reason to), but I think that BY FAR the most heavily promoted private revelation is the Rosary. It’s so heavily promoted (and has been throughout history) that most Catholics probably don’t even know that it’s private revelation (which means they are not obliged to accept it).

A couple of years ago I posted a thread asking if a Catholic were free to disbelieve in the supernatural origin of the Rosary. It seems like we can say, “ya know, I have some problems with Fatima” and it’s OK, but not for the Rosary. The Rosary seemed to occupy a place of prominence.

Of course, I got called a Rosary hater just for asking the question (and it wasn’t even my question - somebody else asked about it deep in another thread, and I didn’t know the answer, so I opened a thread to find out). Forum Member constantconvert provided the answer in post #41:

Although an assent of Catholic faith may not be given to revelations thus approved, still, an assent of human faith, made according to the rules of prudence, is due them; for according to these rules such revelations are probable and worthy of pious credence… it is possible to refuse to accept such revelations and to turn from them, as long as one does so with proper modesty, for good reasons, and without the intention of setting himself up as a superior. ~Benedict XIV, De Serv. Dei Beatif.

I don’t reject any approved revelation, but (with the exception of the Rosary - I like the Rosary) I simply have no interest in it whatsoever.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.