Complain, Complain, Complain

Personally, I’ve had enough of people complaining.

Marriage prep is too lenient, there are too many people getting divorced. Marriage prep is to strict, I don’t want to do all that junk.

The priest’s homily is too short. The priest’s homily is too long.

The Church doesn’t speak out on moral issues enough. The Church needs to mind it’s own business.

Newsflash: It ain’t the Church that needs adjustment.

And my favorites:

Why isn’t my parish providing Vacation Bible School for my kids?
Why isn’t my parish providing a single adults group for me?
Why isn’t my parish providing support for divorced people?
Why isn’t my parish doing bible study?
Why isn’t my parish doing more to serve the poor?

Blah blah blah.

Why isn’t your parish doing any of this? Because you are sitting on your duff complaining about it on CAF rather than going over to the parish volunteering to head up any of these ministries.

Rant over

:console:

:console: :D

Well, I’m tired of people complaining about other people complaining!

So there! :wink:

How is the priest’s homily ever TOO short? That is like saying a girl is too pretty, or a car is too fast. :D. Or this martini is too strong. Or I have too much money. I like my Masses brief and to the point.

Cool answer!!!

I can so agree! People complain even when they're not sure what they're complaining about.

A recent conversation:

Her: The Church doesn't do enough for singles.

Me: What would you like to see happen that isn't happening now?

Her: We need a singles group in the parish.

Me: What kinds of things would a group like that do?

Her: You know...it would be for singles.

Me: And what would the group do?

Her: It would be for singles.

Me: I'm clearly not understanding what this group would be about, but that's OK. Why don't you put a notice in the bulletin and get a group together to talk about forming a singles group in the parish. See if there's interest in getting something started.

Her: Me??? I'm telling you so you can start it.

1ke,

What you said! :thumbsup:

I can handle the original complaining posts, but what I don’t like is when the OP gets advice that they don’t like so then they’re arguing with you about why that can’t possibly the right/best answer because it isn’t what they were looking for, or they’ll have to admit they’re wrong, or they’ll actually have to DO something about it.

Those are the best…:rolleyes:

[quote="CountrySinger, post:5, topic:199767"]
How is the priest's homily ever TOO short? That is like saying a girl is too pretty, or a car is too fast. :D. Or this martini is too strong. Or I have too much money. I like my Masses brief and to the point.

[/quote]

Ha Ha, me too.

Except I love the Tridentine Mass...it manages to keep me mesmerized. ;)

If you have an idea in your head for something that should change in your parish that probably means you should be the one to initiate and/or lead the change.

I know a couple who, upon converting to the Catholic faith, realized their parish had NO programs for the youth - so they volunteered to create a youth group. When they realized the people teaching RCIA were ill informed - they volunteered to study and become RCIA teachers. No bible study? No problem, they started working with people to form one.

That’s how we should all be. See a problem? Address it. Fix it.

And some of us try to change programs in place (my parish young adult woman’s group was wondering why attendance was low, because they only studied the Bible and prayed for hours, not something people want to do all the time), I had some ideas to make it more interesting, and got shot down. So I’m not doing that again. :frowning:

So I realize that the Church is not a social place. And most Catholics my age in my area are BORING. So I’ve branched out, and most of my friends are non-Catholic (with the exception of my boyfriend and one of my best friends). And I love it! My parish can have their boring Young Woman’s Group, I’m going bowling! :cool: Church is just for Mass, and I leave right after it is over, and I meet my non-religious friends for brunch and mimosas (a lot more fun that bad coffee and doughnuts).

[quote="1ke, post:1, topic:199767"]
Personally, I've had enough of people complaining.

Marriage prep is too lenient, there are too many people getting divorced. Marriage prep is to strict, I don't want to do all that junk.

The priest's homily is too short. The priest's homily is too long.

The Church doesn't speak out on moral issues enough. The Church needs to mind it's own business.

Newsflash: It ain't the Church that needs adjustment.

And my favorites:

Why isn't my parish providing Vacation Bible School for my kids?
Why isn't my parish providing a single adults group for me?
Why isn't my parish providing support for divorced people?
Why isn't my parish doing bible study?
Why isn't my parish doing more to serve the poor?

Blah blah blah.

Why isn't your parish doing any of this? Because you are sitting on your duff complaining about it on CAF rather than going over to the parish volunteering to head up any of these ministries.

Rant over

[/quote]

Everyone including Church leaders must adhere to the Bible and teachings in the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Jesus never said that the Government (or the Church) can take over the responsibility of the Individual.
Each individual will be judged on his/her own personal actions.
Jesus never taught us to be couch potatoes and just assume someone else will do what needs to be done. Everyone has been given different talents.

[quote="CountrySinger, post:12, topic:199767"]
And some of us try to change programs in place (my parish young adult woman's group was wondering why attendance was low, because they only studied the Bible and prayed for hours, not something people want to do all the time), I had some ideas to make it more interesting, and got shot down. So I'm not doing that again. :(

So I realize that the Church is not a social place. And most Catholics my age in my area are BORING. So I've branched out, and most of my friends are non-Catholic (with the exception of my boyfriend and one of my best friends). And I love it! My parish can have their boring Young Woman's Group, I'm going bowling! :cool:

[/quote]

I hear ya, CountrySinger.

I tried the whole joining groups, Donut Sundays, getting involved in active ministry, heck, I even hosted a Women's Renewal Group Christmas Party in my apartment. Guess I'm just too ... who knows what ... for Catholics to accept me in social situations.

So instead of staying after Mass for Donut Sundays, I started going out in nature, just me and my camera.

And guess who accepts me now?

Art galleries.
:extrahappy:

So no, I'm not complaining ...
nor will I beat my head against a brick wall ...
I'll simply go where I'm accepted when it comes to social functions.
Turns out my peeps are in the art world.
Who knew?

That said, I'm still very much a pro-life conservative
practicing Catholic who loves the Latin Mass and
a Ronald Reagan Republican.

If you ever want to talk, CountrySinger, feel welcome to drop me a PM.
Particularly since one of the other names I'm known by is CountryDreaming.
:)

Love Art too. (Photography, Drawing, and Painting…waiting to be discovered, lol)

I think we need more cheerful Catholics. I do like my fellow Catholic ladies who work at the local Catholic shop here…always very nice and friendly. :slight_smile:

We used to get alot of that, then our pastor started telling people. “That’s a great idea, why don’t you start that ministry?”

[quote="the_phoenix, post:14, topic:199767"]
I hear ya, CountrySinger.

I tried the whole joining groups, Donut Sundays, getting involved in active ministry, heck, I even hosted a Women's Renewal Group Christmas Party in my apartment. Guess I'm just too ... who knows what ... for Catholics to accept me in social situations.

So instead of staying after Mass for Donut Sundays, I started going out in nature, just me and my camera.

And guess who accepts me now?

Art galleries.
:extrahappy:

So no, I'm not complaining ...
nor will I beat my head against a brick wall ...
I'll simply go where I'm accepted when it comes to social functions.
Turns out my peeps are in the art world.
Who knew?

That said, I'm still very much a pro-life conservative
practicing Catholic who loves the Latin Mass and
a Ronald Reagan Republican.

If you ever want to talk, CountrySinger, feel welcome to drop me a PM.
Particularly since one of the other names I'm known by is CountryDreaming.
:)

[/quote]

That is so cool! It's nice to hear from a Catholic who is kind of outsider as well.

But I've never been in the popular group either. :) Why waste time trying to befriend people who wouldn't like you anyway? And why do stuff for a parish who won't appreciate you anyway? I would rather serve at a soup kitchen or in an animal shelter.

Hi doanli,

Nice to meet you. What are your favorite subjects to sketch, paint, or photograph? :curtsey:

Awesome that you’re talented in more than one medium. Tried an abstract acrylic painting workshop once … Ended up giving my paintbrushes to a friend. * lol *

As for you waiting to be discovered … Don’t wait! Find your nearest local gallery and pay them a visit. Good luck! :slight_smile:

… And back on topic … as for getting involved in the Church, what I’ve learned is that I can use my solitary talents to help out in my own way. So this past January me and my camera went down to the March for Life in Washington, DC. The mainstream news media barely covered it … so rather than complain, complain, complain … I covered the news myself in my blog.

Links to a couple of the March for Life blog entries can be found by visiting my profile page here at CAF.

~~ the phoenix

:thumbsup: :smiley:

[quote="1ke, post:1, topic:199767"]
Personally, I've had enough of people complaining.

Rant over

[/quote]

I knew it would happen one day - total 1ke melt down. :p

Don't worry folks, she will be back. ;)

~Liza

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.