Complaints & Concerns about what to call the {Roman) Catholic Church

There is another thread runnning on the apologetics forum about the same topic running on this one.

It is rather amusing but I understand the sensitivities to it. I heard Fr. Pacwa discussing the issue last night (he did not like Roman either and stated it was inaccurate).

But you have:

Orthodox - they are the Catholic Church

Old Catholics (Utrecht) - they are the Catholic Church

Anglicans claim some variation since they too trace back to the apostles

Various home grown American “Catholic” Churches which I listed only a few of on the other thread.

Far worse is the tendency (very common) for even Catholics to say things like “Oh…I am not Christian, I am Catholic”. They mean well but I have heard both Protestants and Roman (pardon me) Catholics differentiate between Christians (ie Protestants) and Catholics. A military Chaplain (Catholic Priest) nearly passed out at a staff meeting when a parish coordinator (Protestant) said “I used to be Catholic but now I am Christian”. He was tired of hearing people who were Catholics say the same thing. Most often, especially when Roman (pardon me) Catholics say, “I am not Christian I am Catholic” they do it out of ignorance and certainly not malice BUT it is funny.

In any case, I think we need to be respectful. Catholics based in Rome have a right to call themselves the Catholic Church and I respect that. BUT I also must respect the right of various other groups to call themselves the same thing (eg Old Catholics - Utrecht). Frankly, if you do not intend to insult them you must do the same using the logic here.

If I were a Catholics whose HQ is in Rome (I am trying to figure out how to say this and point to the right church) I would not mind being called a Roman Catholic. It is quite clear which church I belong to. I think people who fear that term have an American inferiority complex over the anti Catholicism this country experienced and distaste for seeming linkage to foreign non WASP entitites.

Rev North (Anglo Catholic)

kind of reminds me of the passage in the bible where we are warned to be one.

maybe in 200-400 years

Old Catholics (Utrecht) - they are the Catholic Church

an exception

Anglicans claim some variation since they too trace back to the apostles

please

Various home grown American “Catholic” Churches which I listed only a few of on the other thread.

wannabes

Far worse is the tendency (very common) for even Catholics to say things like “Oh…I am not Christian, I am Catholic”. They mean well but I have heard both Protestants and Roman (pardon me) Catholics differentiate between Christians (ie Protestants) and Catholics. A military Chaplain (Catholic Priest) nearly passed out at a staff meeting when a parish coordinator (Protestant) said “I used to be Catholic but now I am Christian”. He was tired of hearing people who were Catholics say the same thing. Most often, especially when Roman (pardon me) Catholics say, “I am not Christian I am Catholic” they do it out of ignorance and certainly not malice BUT it is funny.

We who love the Church are all cracked up about this one.

I personally hate the term Catholic Christian.

We all know what makes one Catholic. There is no need to augment the word “Catholic” with any other discriptive term, adjective, or modifier. People assume that if you are Catholic, you are in submission to the Catholic bishop of Rome.

I agree with you. In spite of what some Protestants think, Catholics are Christians (assuming the right conditions just as you would with a Protestant claiming that name). It is redundant to say I am a Catholic Christian.

Unfortunately…there are some bigoted Christians who believe Catholics are NOT Christians and belong to some cult. Mind you these same people usually think Jack Chick comic books are academic Journals and that the story of Alberto is genuine biography.

Rev North

I think this is where you show sensitivity to the group in question. For many “Roman” Catholics, the “Roman” comes across as a negative, a pejorative, with just bad old associations. We call ourselves Catholic.

Since the term Catholic typically denotes the Latin rite, just plain common usage suggests most people mean Latin rite when they say Catholic. I don’t think Catholics are necessarily being exclusionary that way.

That “Christian - Catholic” thing you mention was likely started by a Protestant minister trying to make a point.

I am proud to be Catholic and I’m just as proud to say Roman Catholic. Many in America do not want to listen to “Rome” but I think the US Catholic Church has tried for a long time to do things their own way. Whatever, Roman Catholic or Catholic as long as I can find a church that follows “Rome” I’m happy.

Is there anything that Catholic in US is doing things on their own right now?

Bless you airforcemom! You seem very comfortable with who you are and your faith.

PS Thank you for whoever is in the service (based on your moniker).

In Christ,

Rev North+

Thank you - I have my oldest son in the Air Force - he is a C-130 Loadmaster (was a C-5 Loadmaster until last year). His wife is in the Army Reserves - does her Army position daily working civil service. My youngest son got out of the AF one day and joined the GA Air Guard the next - he is with the J-Stars. My brother is in the AF Reserves after serving 8.5 years before the RIF after the first Gulf War. Very happy to say that right now all except my brother are here in the US - he is in Africia but due to return in September. Unfortunately, the oldest son deploys every 4-6 months for a 4+ month stay in Iraq but we are hoping he is here until December but could leave as early as October. Guess it is a family thing - my dad retired with over 26 years - Army, Guard and Air Force.

Your but does not make sense to me. Each one of the Churches you mention are not named Catholic they say they are catholic. I am not understanding your point:shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.