Compline

This may be a silly question but – I want to start praying the Liturgy of the Hours but as a married man with children I only have time to pray compline. Should this be an issue?

No issue. LOTH is an optional devotion for lay people so if you can only pray Compline so be it.

[quote="Augustine3, post:1, topic:329912"]
This may be a silly question but – I want to start praying the Liturgy of the Hours but as a married man with children I only have time to pray compline. Should this be an issue?

[/quote]

No issue at all. Whenever I pray it, which isn't that often right now, I sometimes would only pray Compline or just get in morning prayers. Since it isn't being used for like a priest or a monk its fine to do whatever you like with it but still unite with the universal prayer of the Church.

Blessings!

I think it's great for getting started. Going forward, it would be good to think about adding more and more prayer time to your life and making it a priority.

I think most people have heard the parable about the college professor who filled a large jar with rocks, and then with pebbles, then with sand, and continually asked his students, "Is it full yet?" and they say "Yes?" and finally he fills the jar with water. His point is that no matter how much we fill our lives with things to do, there is always time to squeeze in more. When we sit down to prioritize our time, we should be thinking foremost of God and the glory due to him. A homily once said, "when a boy gets a girlfriend, does he tell his friends, 'she's really great and I love her a lot, but I hardly ever talk to her.' No, we build our relationships by spending time with each other, and our relationship with God is no different."

Personally, my prayer life has suffered much not because I am busy, but because I fill my time with trivial things that I dug up to prevent boredom. Of late, I have attempted to add more LOTH to my life just by going to divineoffice.org and listening to the podcasts. At least while I am hacking away at the computer, I can attain a prayerful attitude and mood by listening to others pray for me. Perhaps something like this could work for you. I look forward to the time when I can stop what I am doing and find ten minutes to pray the Office in reverence. I'm not there yet! You will be in my prayers.

[quote="marty1818, post:2, topic:329912"]
No issue. LOTH is an optional devotion for lay people so if you can only pray Compline so be it.

[/quote]

I think this should be clarified a bit. Even for the laity, the LOTH is liturgy.

The difference compared to clergy and religious, is that as laity we don't have an obligation to pray it. But when we do, it is still liturgy, much more than a devotion.

It's just fine to pray the LOTH to the extent we can. I am blessed that at this time in my life (empty nester), I have the time to pray the full LOTH. It wasn't always so; so doing only part of it, if only Compline, is just fine, it's still liturgy and still attaches you to the Body of Christ through liturgy.

Thanks for that tip to use the audio at Divine Office to make yourself actually focus on the Liturgy of the Hours and not have your mind wander but be in the prayer mode. I will try that for compline tonight and morning prayer tomorrow with my Christian Prayer one volume LOTH.

Blessings!

Fantastic posts, thanks everybody!

Elizium23 – your prayers are definitely needed, thanks. I will pray for you too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.