Concern about hymn sung at Mass

Twice in the past year in our parish, the music director has included the "hymn" In This House written by Marylu Hill. The lyrics seem extremely problematic to me because of the line 'welcomed by God, our father and mother' in the chorus.

I complained to out pastor about it in June and it disappeared for our 'extra' binder of hymns, only to reappear yesterday.

I might note that this extra binder of hymns are songs that are far from traditional although classified as 'contemporary' hymns, includes the heretical nugget Ashes (with the horrid line 'we arise again from ashes to create ourselves anew' )

So, am I off-base in my thinking that In This House has no place being sung anywhere near a Catholic church? I am preparing a letter to my pastor and will follow up with the bishop if need be.

Any thoughts

Tony

I doesn't sound good to me. Who is in charge of the hymn book?

I never heard it, and I cannot find the lyrics or a video...and this I don't like: "No one lights a lamp and puts it in a place where it will be hidden".

If you find it problematic, do speak to the pastor. Perhaps find out if others share in your opinion, so that it won't appear to be a matter of what you specifically like or dislike, but a concern of a group of faithful.

I wouldn't consider bringing this matter to the bishop...because, in all honesty, I do not know the lyrics and your criticism of "Ashes" may be a little bit too harsh (not that I know about it either, but I read it and I do not see any "visible" heresy :o).

[quote="agp2176, post:1, topic:302722"]
Twice in the past year in our parish, the music director has included the "hymn" In This House written by Marylu Hill. The lyrics seem extremely problematic to me because of the line 'welcomed by God, our father and mother' in the chorus.

I complained to out pastor about it in June and it disappeared for our 'extra' binder of hymns, only to reappear yesterday.

I might note that this extra binder of hymns are songs that are far from traditional although classified as 'contemporary' hymns, includes the heretical nugget Ashes (with the horrid line 'we arise again from ashes to create ourselves anew' )

So, am I off-base in my thinking that In This House has no place being sung anywhere near a Catholic church? I am preparing a letter to my pastor and will follow up with the bishop if need be.

Any thoughts

Tony

[/quote]

Yuck. Sounds like you need to have a bonfire with all these binders.

The best thing any parish can do is to remove all of their OCP music books and buy something from another publisher which adheres to the Church's guidelines on sacred music. OCP has many songs which either state direct heresy or present a very nebulous theology, as with the majority of their communion songs.

[quote="Cavaille-Coll, post:5, topic:302722"]
The best thing any parish can do is to remove all of their OCP music books and buy something from another publisher which adheres to the Church's guidelines on sacred music. OCP has many songs which either state direct heresy or present a very nebulous theology, as with the majority of their communion songs.

[/quote]

OCP, I believe, has gotten better in the new edition of Journeysong. Not to mention that if you are hoping to do contemporary stuff, their SpiritSong line is the top of the line. Though, its going to take some time for them to shake the reputation.

Honestly, in my experience I've found that OCP has just as much fault as GIA or WLP. Really, it comes down to having a proficient music director who can read the texts through a solid Catholic lens. Truly, its a shame some of the things which masquerade as Catholic.

Does one need permission of the Church to gather up her property to burn? Or is the need so great and the crisis in taste so imminent that permission just gets in the way of our needs?

Any thoughts

Tony

[/quote]

I would speak to some friends in the Parish and gauge their thoughts and then go to the Pastor. If that does not work, I would disagree with others and suggest going to the Bishop. We have a right, if nothing else, to not get scandalized simply by going to Mass.

[quote="R_C, post:3, topic:302722"]
I never heard it, and I cannot find the lyrics or a video...and this I don't like: "No one lights a lamp and puts it in a place where it will be hidden".

[/quote]

This is from Scripture. Jesus said it. He did not speak heresy.

[quote="Stylites, post:7, topic:302722"]
Does one need permission of the Church to gather up her property to burn? Or is the need so great and the crisis in taste so imminent that permission just gets in the way of our needs?

[/quote]

Burning of books is not a new or unique response. It has been used before.

I have tried to find the lyrics but will keep on trying. If the issue has already been brought up and yet it is still allowed, I would say that it is the call of the pastor to allow or disallow a certain song. I am sure the bishops will not inject himself in such a minor detail of a song that is disliked.

I think R_C was using Jesus’ quote “no one lights a lamp and then hides it” to say, “I can’t find this song online, and since no one lights a lamp and then hides it, this song ain’t no light.”

Any thoughts

Tony

[/quote]

Someone may have requested it perhaps ? From time to time someone will say they not heard it being sung for a long time and depending on how its said etc, ie not a criticism, then it gets looked at to see which sunday it fits best. :)
Book an appointment with the priest and discuss the hymn in full and see what his theory of it is but even then if he not in charge of the music, though he can say no to any hymn going even if its accepted, he can say a personal no. Perhaps he hasn't looked through it fully and whoever is doing the music hasn't really studied the words or understand the words different from you?

[quote="japhy, post:11, topic:302722"]
I think R_C was using Jesus' quote "no one lights a lamp and then hides it" to say, "I can't find this song online, and since no one lights a lamp and then hides it, this song ain't no light."

[/quote]

I thought RC said that he did not like that part of the song. Surely not having the lyrics on line does not equate to hiding something under a bushel. I would hope we have not gotten to the point where anything is suspect if it is not on the internet. That is as bad as believing everything on the internet.

and this I don't like: "No one lights a lamp and puts it in a place where it will be hidden".

Since he can’t find the lyrics to the hymn online, I don’t think he was quoting the hymn.

[quote="japhy, post:14, topic:302722"]
Since he can't find the lyrics to the hymn online, I don't think he was quoting the hymn.

[/quote]

Hmmm! That is an interesting point! I guess the quotes threw me for a loop. I don't think it is any sort of nefarious reason why it can't be found. I have had this issue in the past with some hymns. It is also not found in any of my hymn books or binders. I looked earlier today.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.