Concerned I may have received Eucharist unworthily

Hi, I had a question and was hoping you guys could help. I came in to the Church on Easter Vigil, but a few hours before, I had a sinful thought. I’m somewhat scrupulous, so I wasn’t sure if it was a mortal sin or if I was misreading the situation. I though that the priest I confess to would probably consider it a venial sin, but I wasn’t sure, and received Eucharist. If I were in the situation again, I wouldn’t receive, but I’m not sure if I sinned, and this has been bothering me for a few weeks now. So, does it sound like I sinned?
Thanks in advance.

Having a thought isn’t in itself a sin.
If it was a bad thought and you dismissed it as soon as you realized,
then it was only a temptation, not a sin.

You are new to the Faith, and will find your way.

If you had committed a grave or mortal sin you would know, not just have fears,
because to commit a mortal sin, you would have to knowingly, and willingly consent to something you knew is grave sin.

I posted a thread earlier that could help you to discern regarding sin. forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=776324

In the Catechism of the Catholic Church, regarding temptation, you will find,
2847 “We must also discern between being tempted and consenting to
temptation
.”
Temptation isn’t sin, but giving into, consenting to, temptation is sinful. I don’t think you did.

God bless you and lead you. God give you peace.

Catechism of the Catholic Church: vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM
Kindly,
Trish

:thumbsup:

Temptation isn’t sin. At all. Jesus was tempted. If you are in doubt, then ask your priest next time you are in confession.

If you believe yourself to be somewhat scrupulous, please bring this up to your priest so that he can help you work through it. He can guide you in determining what is and is not mortally sinful.

As the previous posters mentioned, there is no sin in having a thought pop into your head involuntarily. That’s temptation, not sin. Just don’t dwell on it.

Taken from a very reputable book from the 19th century called The Way of Interior Peace by Fr. Lehen, pg. 99:

“To a mortal sin belong three points: 1st. Weighty matter; – a jesting lie, for example or a vain, self-conceited thought, is not sufficient for a mortal sin. 2d. Full knowledge of the evil; that is, the deliberate consciousness that what one does is a mortal sin. This excludes all cases in which the sin proceeds from surprise, or in which the soul is not full master of her powers; as, for example, in half-slumber, and the like. 3d. Full consent of the will to that which the understanding knows to be mortal sin. As long as the consent remains imperfect, or we are conscious of a certain hesitancy, a deferring, or a reproach of conscience in consequence of our neglect in combating the temptation, the sin is only venial.”

I hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.