Concerned my confession was invalid

I'm worried because I didn't confess the number of times of some of my sins. The priest was guiding me through the thing and hadn't asked for number. I thought about it, but kept confessing a lot only by type, not number. I wasn't trying to hide my sins, but I was nervous and just kept on going. However, I asked him at the end if I need to list the number, and he said not to worry about it.
So:
Was my confession valid?
Did I commit a mortal sin?
I need to know because I'm coming in to the Church tomorrow, so I may need to make a last-minute confession.

[quote="TheUserName, post:1, topic:320839"]
I'm worried because I didn't confess the number of times of some of my sins. The priest was guiding me through the thing and hadn't asked for number. I thought about it, but kept confessing a lot only by type, not number. I wasn't trying to hide my sins, but I was nervous and just kept on going. However, I asked him at the end if I need to list the number, and he said not to worry about it.
So:
Was my confession valid?
Did I commit a mortal sin?
I need to know because I'm coming in to the Church tomorrow, so I may need to make a last-minute confession.

[/quote]

He said not to worry about it. Then don't worry about it.

Welcome to the Church!!!

[quote="fredystairs, post:2, topic:320839"]
He said not to worry about it. Then don't worry about it.

Welcome to the Church!!!

[/quote]

Agreed.

Did you follow his directions? Did you answer his questions? Did you deliberately conceal a mortal sin?

Did the priest say "I absolve you of your sins"?

Yes, it was valid.

"Those whose sins you forgive, they are forgiven.".

**If **the priest erred in not asking your for numbers, then you are not responsible, and it does not invalidate the confession. If you have doubts then just ask a priest (including the one you confessed to) next time you are in confession.

Do I need to re-confess?

*Question. *
Sometimes in my past, I would visit the Sacrament of Reconciliation and give what I thought to be an 'adequate' Confession; but thinking back, I feel like I made some rather serious omissions. **While I don't think I ever left any grave sins entirely out, I rarely/never mentioned the frequency that I performed my sins (even mortal) and I also feel like I downplayed some of their seriousness. **This has been bothering me a lot lately...

**Answer. **I suggest that you mention the above to the priest the next time you go to Confession. That should take care of it. If you remember a particular mortal sin that you didn’t confess, mention that as well. A general confession is a good thing, but you need to make an appointment for that. If you chose to do so, wait till after Christmas when priests aren’t so busy.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

Note Fr Serpa's words "suggest.. mention.. next confession". There is no urgency, as if the absolutions were invalid. And this was for a case were the person was not being guided through the confession (unlike you).

We are human! We forget. God knows you were trying to do your best. The Priest knows it too! You are forgiven!:thumbsup:

If he told you not to worry about it and gave you absolution, then you don't need to worry. If he needed more detail or numbers, he would have asked.

Find a good confessor and make a habit of regular confession.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.