Concerns about outrage at EBay

I understand just how disrespectful it was for someone to put a Eucharist wafer up for sale on EBay, but the level of outrage concerns me.

I will start by asking a question: Are you more concerned with the soul of the individual who would put the wafer on EBay or the fate of the wafer itself?

JOIN US AT www.boycottebay.com and put some pressure to stop this. (please moderators dont suspend me for this) there is a yahoo group on that page please help us because ebay wont surrender easely

It was my understanding that Ebay removed this from their web site. I heard that on EWTN, I think. The outrage imho was more than warrented. I believe that the person who was selling it either did not understand/or believe that it is the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ. Not an item to be auctioned to the highest bidder.

I love it when people get outraged like this and make 10,000 calls like they did to Ebay, maybe we would end abortion, euthanasia, fetal stem cell research, etc., I wish people were calling their senators and Reps daily fighting for the rights of the unborn, elderly, and disabled. If we would stick together we could change these things in no time.

God bless,
chris

[quote=Angainor]I understand just how disrespectful it was for someone to put a Eucharist wafer up for sale on EBay, but the level of outrage concerns me.

I will start by asking a question: Are you more concerned with the soul of the individual who would put the wafer on EBay or the fate of the wafer itself?
[/quote]

Disrespectful? Do you realize what they’re doing?? That’s **Our Lord **there!! :eek: Why don’t they just nail him back up on the cross?!!

I realize that you’re not Catholic, Angainor, but if you truly believed that that consecrated “wafer” is Jesus, Son of God and Son of Man, the Lamb, True God, then you would not want him to be sold on eBay!

There are those people who would do unspeakable things to him because they know who he is and they are in league with Satan.

I also realize that the seller was not a believer but that doesn’t change facts. He was selling him unwittingly but he was still selling him. This sort of thing must cease!

Angainor, since we truly, sincerely believe that that is Our Lord, can you now understand our outrage?

Sue

boycottebay.org/

[quote=chris138]I love it when people get outraged like this and make 10,000 calls like they did to Ebay, maybe we would end abortion, euthanasia, fetal stem cell research, etc., I wish people were calling their senators and Reps daily fighting for the rights of the unborn, elderly, and disabled. If we would stick together we could change these things in no time.
[/quote]

I think you may have a sense of my concern.

The Lord’s Supper was instituted for us. It is a sacrament established to aid in our salvation. It serves us. We do not serve it.

The Sabboth was instituted in the OT to serve the Jews. It helped them to come closer to God. When the Sabboth no longer was effective in helping the Jews come closer to God, when people started serving the Sabboth, when the Sabboth itself became more important than doing good, Jesus eliminated it. What? Don’t heal someone because it is the Sabboth? Nonsense.

I am afraid the Lord’s Supper itself has become more important than doing good, and your comments seem to illustrate that. I wonder what Jesus himself would have to say about that.

Proper respect for the sacrament is warrented, but let’s have some perspective.

[quote=SusanL]Angainor, since we truly, sincerely believe that that is Our Lord, can you now understand our outrage?

Sue
[/quote]

Yes, I understand. That is one of the reasons I don’t believe the Eucharist is the true presence.

I can’t believe Jesus intended for us to have this level of concern for the Lord’s Supper. It is our faith that is important. The Lord’s Supper was instituted to bolster our faith. It is only useful for that. To be so outraged over the wafer itself…

Just go back and read what Jesus had to say about the Sabboth. The Sabboth was instituted to bolster the faith of the Jews. When obeying the Sabboth grew in importance until the Sabboth itself overshadowed what was really important (like caring for the sick) Jesus took it away. It was no longer useful for its intended purpose.

This is not the forum for this discussion. We do believe the Eucharist is the living Lord and we believe it because Jesus said it. If He had meant it to be a symbolic act He would have said that so that people would not have walked away from Him disgusted by the thought of cannibalism - regarded as horrific by the Jews.
Go back and look where Jesus DID speak symbolically about food and where He specifically spoke of the Eucharist as being His Body and His Blood.

We are outraged because of this kind of violation of our religious principles. If someone was to sell the remains of indigenious peoples of the Americas on the EBAY website, people all over would have lost their minds over the disrespect shown to native peoples. We want the same kind of outrage and protection of thinking, loving people extended to those of us who worship Jesus Christ.

[quote=Angainor]I understand just how disrespectful it was for someone to put a Eucharist wafer up for sale on EBay, but the level of outrage concerns me.

[/quote]

I don’t think the so called “Eucharist Wafer” is the issue, Jesus Christ who transfroms the bread and the wine "literally into his body, who gives himself freely because he loves us so much, continually gives and gives of himself even knwoing evil men will still abuse Him is once again on the auction block for all the world to mock and abuse. Being sold in the market of “free capitalism” along with all the other **** on e-bay! Does it not break your heart to pieces? We are His body so guess what, we are being sold and abused right with Him! Yes, I care for the person who did this and I pray that their soul may experience conversion, but first and foremost I must always seek to console the Scared Heart of Jesus who is once gain crowned with thorns. Food for thought.

sorry, i scrwed up the real site is:

www.boycottebay.org
sorry again
also check out this:
dyinglight.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=26

[/quote]

Angainor,

You seem to have stirred up a bit of a hornet’s nest here. I must admit that my first reaction was that I did not know which I would be more concerned about. On thinking about it some, I submit to you that there really isn’t a way to compare “amounts” of concern. I am concerned about the state of the person’s soul, and I am concerned–and outraged–about the desecration of what I consider holy. But to say that I am more concerned about one than the other is really a mistake; there isn’t any good way to compare.

• Liberian

[quote=Liberian]Angainor,

You seem to have stirred up a bit of a hornet’s nest here. I must admit that my first reaction was that I did not know which I would be more concerned about. On thinking about it some, I submit to you that there really isn’t a way to compare “amounts” of concern. I am concerned about the state of the person’s soul, and I am concerned–and outraged–about the desecration of what I consider holy. But to say that I am more concerned about one than the other is really a mistake; there isn’t any good way to compare.

• Liberian
    [/quote]

I have to agree. My concern goes out for the soul of the individual who persisted after being asked to remove the Eucharist from an auction. However, I do not agree with the tactics employed in some letters if inded they occured (telling the person they are going to Hell while cussing them out) as I believe it only worsened the situation. In respect to the Eucharist, so many saints have died for the Sacrament. The Eucharist should never be treated in such a fashion. And even if the Host was not Consecrated, the act was still scandalous if it was a lie and for profit. We need to pray for the sellers soul, and work together to prevent the situation from happening on eBay or anywhere else. Thanks and God Bless.

Hola compadres!!

i think the 2 answers to the poll are right you see why:

1st.- the soul of the individual who put it for sale and the one who buy it (the eucharist) are in grave danger, but if they repent and confess they are free.

2.- on he other hand the fate of the eucharist himself conserns me more because:
who buy it??? A)a satanist too ofend it, B)an enemy of the church to have a laugh, C)a pervert to do something evil with it,

3.- Why is ebay so hard too surrender, looks to me that its doing it in porpuse, just ANSWER me this HOW MUCH MAKES EBAY IN EACH TRANSACCION, IT IS THE SAME IF YOU BUY A CAR THAT IF YOU BUY A PIN??? I DONT KNOW BUT SOMETHING DOES NOT SMELL RIGHT HERE (AND I DO NOT LIKE CONSPIRASY THEORIES)

if we dont do anything and dont act i feel that Jesus will take that into account when i die, and i prefer to say to my Boss “look Jesus i try to defend you and i lose” ( i know He is God and does not need mini me too defend HIM) than “i didn’t do anything”

i always like to think very worst it can happen, so her it goes:
what if we dont do nothing and ebay is the place to get “ALL THINGS CATHOLIC, WAFERS, WINE, STOLEN ART FROM CHURCHES, ETC, ETC”

please reply

Firstly, there was no way that a person could prove that a Consecrated Host was being sold.
Secondly, God is Immutable. He is not hurt by desecration;we are. Thirdly, God is all powerful. He can withdraw from that Host if he so wills.
Fourthly, the Real Presence would disappear from the Host over a period of time, as it becomes vitiated.
Fifthly, there will be other episodes, especially now that the sad sickos have seen the reaction of Catholics to this .

Desecration is terrible and insulting to the Catholic Faith, but we must not lose our peace of mind over it.

I am really quite astonished that so far 13 people or 41% (not including me) are more concerned with a wafer than a person’s soul.

:tsktsk:

What is the Eucharist all about, if not the saving of souls?

[quote=Angainor]I am really quite astonished that so far 13 people or 41% (not including me) are more concerned with a wafer than a person’s soul.

:tsktsk:

What is the Eucharist all about, if not the saving of souls?
[/quote]

I am concerned with both:tsktsk: The wafer as you call it is our Lord on a Catholic board you need to at least respect that!:tsktsk:

I did not vote. What are my choices?

Don’t worry about the man who is going to hell?

Don’t worry about what may be done to my Lord and my God?

If a person truly believes in the Real Presence of Christ, it is like asking me if it is okay for you to Crucify Jesus again, or spit on Him, or smother Him in feces…

While I know Jesus would gladly allow each one of these things for the sake of one soul, to ask me to vote for it to happen is not something I can do.

Being aware of the sacredness and presence of Christ does not cancel out the need for getting outraged over other atrocities. But getting outraged over abortion should not mean not getting outraged over the treatment given to My Lord and My God.

While you seem to understand that Catholics believe in the Real Presence, you don’t believe in it. Because of this you fail to really feel and understand how the selling of the Eucharist on E-bay is like selling a child, a real person. Christ is really present. You don’t sell people, and you certainly don’t sell God.

Very sad indeed. Here we go again!
Let’s all get together and stand strong again!

My understanding of the Eucharist is that It is not necessary for the salvation of souls…otherwise there would be a ton of people going to hell…including all the protestants who do not believe in the Real Presence.:smiley:

But, as a protestant would know as they are literalists, if you do not eat the Body of Christ of drink His blood, you have no life in you…:smiley:

So, by desecrating the Host by selling It on e-bay, …you are killing Life itself. Life that is needed for the life of the soul!
Jesus must come first…always… and any protestant or evangelical would agree with that one! :smiley:

Blessings,
Shoshana

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.