Concerns over religious freedom help sink LGBT bills

Washington D.C., May 27, 2016 / 06:46 am (CNA/EWTN News).- Religious liberty was among the primary concerns that ultimately defeated controversial legislation aimed at enforcing a 2014 LGBT executive order twice this week.

If passed, the amendments could infringe upon religious liberty of federal contractors, critics say. Since the executive order does not have explicit protections for religious contractors, Catholic institutions could risk losing their contracts if they object to offering spousal benefits for same-sex partners or permitting individuals to use the bathroom that does not align with their biological sex.

The amendment in question, inserted by Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney (D-N.Y.), would bar federal money from any federal contractor who makes employment decisions “on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.” It is meant to enforce President Barack Obama’s executive order that forbade contractors from making such employment decisions.

catholicnewsagency.com/news/concerns-over-religious-freedom-help-sink-lgbt-bills-33767/

Good - let’s hope the tide is turning on this nonsense.

I am glad that the legislators have common sense when it comes to social issues.

Clearly this bill would allow the federal government to overtly discriminate against people who hold a historic view of marriage and a scientific view of gender.

Jon

Read about this in USA today as well. Glad people are beginning to wake up about the pending persecution, and consequences of not defending the faith.

Yes, very good to see. I wonder if we are done with being so spooked into PC on this issue. Boo!

I am very grateful that they took into consideration religious freedom issues. I am also very grateful that the bill did not pass into law. As someone else said, let’s hope the tide is turning in our favor. Perhaps religious freedom will feature more prominently in bills in the future.

The anti-Christian agenda of the LBGT lobby ought to be apparent to all by now.

That is for certain and we should also watch out because I can almost guarantee that they will try again to get bills like this which oppress our freedom to pass into law. We must be vigilant and oppose these bills each and every time they come up.

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.