Concise Explanation of Religious Orders, Societies, Vows, Promises, etc., etc

I am wondering if there is a concise source of information on the various religious orders and their place in the Church, how they are organized at global, local and community levels, how communities are established and how they interact with diocese, public vs private vows, promises, the differences between orders and societies, lay associations, confraternaties, and any other relevant information.

The obvious example is that many don't understand the difference between a nun and sister, the difference between cloistered and active religous, and I would very much like to give a 45 minute talk on this topic for the adult education program at my parish.

I could go back and piece together much of the information from posts here on CAF, especially posts by Brother JR, but am wondering if anyone could suggest a more concise source of information - book, website, talk, or anything else. Weeding through thousands of old posts here on CAF is not something I relish doing.

Even partial information would be appreciated more than you know.

-Tim-

[quote="TimothyH, post:1, topic:298831"]
I am wondering if there is a concise source of information on the various religious orders and their place in the Church, how they are organized at global, local and community levels, how communities are established and how they interact with diocese, public vs private vows, promises, the differences between orders and societies, lay associations, confraternaties, and any other relevant information.

The obvious example is that many don't understand the difference between a nun and sister, the difference between cloistered and active religous, and I would very much like to give a 45 minute talk on this topic for the adult education program at my parish.

I could go back and piece together much of the information from posts here on CAF, especially posts by Brother JR, but am wondering if anyone could suggest a more concise source of information - book, website, talk, or anything else. Weeding through thousands of old posts here on CAF is not something I relish doing.

Even partial information would be appreciated more than you know.

-Tim-

[/quote]

Wow Tim! What an awesome thing to do.

You might try contacting Brother JR since he would probably know right off the bat if a concise book or booklet might be found.

Also if you look at the Religious Ministries website there is a general explanation of differences in various types of Orders or callings if you will
religiousministries.com/editorial/index.asp ]

I hope this helps a bit.

Blessings,

Sr Debbie, O.S.C>

Check out my website (see signature). I think the article on promises would help. God bless you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.