Conclave May Begin March 9th or 11th

ncregister.com/daily-news/conclave-expected-to-begin-between-march-9-11/

“The conclave to choose the next Pope will likely begin between March 9th and 11th.
A Vatican official speaking on background to CNA said Feb. 24 that the dates being discussed for the start of the conclave to elect Pope Benedict XVI’s successor are somewhere between March 9th and 11th.”

Thanks for the update.

Thanks for the update. Today at Mass my Pastor stated that today is the last day we pray for Pope Benedict XVI at Mass. It’s so bittersweet. I know it’s for the best and I don’t doubt the Holy Father’s decision.
At the same time, I am anticipating the Papl Conclave. This is such a uniquely historical moment. I can’t wait to see the new Pope. :slight_smile:

Are there candidates yet? :confused:

If, of course, a majority of cardinals support holding it sooner. Dolan and the French cardinal have pushed back some on that idea, and the theory goes that the outsiders are afraid that an earlier start date will help curial officials to gain the Papacy…which, apart from thwarting whatever ambitions they may have to put their own favorite in the top spot, well - it goes without saying that a lot of people think the Curia is a mess.

Still, if we’re not even starting until the 11th, I don’t see how they formally install the new Pope before Easter. Even a three or four day conclave would only leave them a couple days to make all the arrangements. Considering the security/dignitaries/faithful who would want to attend…

im looking forward to hearing about the conclave since last one I was a non practicing catholic who didn’t pay attention to it!

:confused: I’m confused on this point, please clarify. How would an earlier start date for the Conclave give the Italians an unfair advantage?

Well the Cardinals that are in the Roman Curia already know each other fairly well as they’ve spent years together and they’ve already been in Rome together since the announcement for a rather long time. Meanwhile, Cardinals like Cd. Dolan have been in their own dioceses, away from “all the action” in Rome so to speak, and will not have as much time to “form coalitions” and gain support behind their favorite candidates. That would be the way to analyze it politically I suppose.

Interestingly enough, I read a piece yesterday that said Cd. Bertone was quietly pushing for Cd. Dolan’s candidacy…of course, mere speculation…but an interesting tidbit.

God bless.

-Paul

I’m confused on this point, please clarify. How would an earlier start date for the Conclave give the Italians an unfair advantage?

Well the concern is over those in the Curia, not necessarily the Italians.

Supposedly, because they have greater familiarity with each other and have already had substantially more time for direct discussion of the upcoming election. Whereas the other Cardinals rarely see each other, generally hear only second hand about each other, and have not had much opportunity for direct communication with each other.

For my own selfish reasons of not wanting to wait, I’d rather see it be sooner, rather than later.

They should have been getting ready since Benedict announced his retirement.

Interestingly enough, I read a piece yesterday that said Cd. Bertone was quietly pushing for Cd. Dolan’s candidacy…of course, mere speculation…but an interesting tidbit.

As long as it isn’t Bertone himself. I don’t think I could stand the doomsayers.

I’d like to see that article though - it might explain why the Italian press has talked more about Dolan lately.

Presumably because they’re already in Rome.

While I agree about when the selfish reason of wanting to see them start…I understand why they haven’t been “getting ready”. These men have their own home administration to take care of. They can’t all go to Rome and wait around for an extra three weeks.

catholicvote.org/discuss/index.php?p=43015

This is the blog I read, posted on the blog list that National Catholic Register promotes every week.

I can’t remember. Who presided at the 2005 Easter masses and gave the Easter Urbi et Orbi greeting as JPII was dying? I seem to have some vague recollection about JPII appearing at his window and waving, although the tracheotomy he underwent the month before Easter kept him from saying much.

Looking forward, I’m sure our new pope will preside at the Easter celebrations and give the Urbi et Orbi greeting, whether or not he has been formally installed. The man elected will be pope from the moment he accepts election, regardless of when the formal ceremony is held.

I meant the logistics aspect. Get the planning done, plan for crowd-control, etc… In others words, have everything in place so that all the Cardinals have to do is show up and vote.

Well, it’s the last Sunday that he’ll be mentioned in the Eucharistic Prayer. You could always go to daily Mass on Monday through Wednesday and he’ll be mentioned in that prayer… :wink:

It’s my understanding that any Catholic male is eligible, but the candidate chosen is usually a cardinal. There has been some speculation about frontrunners. We’ll have to see who is elected.

Breaking news on TV, cannot find a link.

From the Vatican, Pope Benedict has moved the conclave date forward.

I’m watching CNN and they said the conclave date won’t be announced until March 1 and may be as early as the 15th.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.