Condamnation of these

did the church condemn castration in the time of the castrati?

has the church condemned anti-Semitism before the 20th century? if so, then why so much hatred for the jews? and why were they put in to ghettos?

Yes. The very first Canon of the very first Ecumenical Council, the Council of Nicaea., taught that anyone who had undergone involuntary castration (either by sickness or by force) could remain a Catholic minister, but anyone who had undergone voluntary castration could not:

1. If anyone in sickness has undergone surgery at the hands of physicians or has been castrated by barbarians, let him remain among the clergy. But if anyone in good health has castrated himself, if he is enrolled among the clergy he should be suspended, and in future no such man should be promoted. But, as it is evident that this refers to those who are responsible for the condition and presume to castrate themselves, so too if any have been made eunuchs by barbarians or by their masters, but have been found worthy, the canon admits such men to the clergy.

It’s hard to imagine that this issue was a problem for the early Church, but it was the first order of business for the first Ecumenical Council. And people complain that modern priests cannot marry. These early guys were getting their, um, you know, cut off.

has the church condemned anti-Semitism before the 20th century? if so, then why so much hatred for the jews? and why were they put in to ghettos?

You asked this before. I presented you with a source from a preeminent Catholic priest and theologian who dedicated his life and his ministry to reconciliation between Catholics and Jews, and who is the definitive authority on this subject (and is, by the way, very critical of the Church’s history in this regard). You responded that you “don’t have time” to research it, and you asked us to research it for you and give you the highlights.

I, for one, am not gonna do that. It is a complex topic, and deserves more attention than “highlights” can provide. If you are really interested in this subject, I suggest that you wait until you have sufficient time to devote to its study.

St. Bernard vigorously opposed massacres of the Jews which were taking place because of misguided participants in the crusades. This was circa 1146 AD.

His letters outline a policy which guides the Church to this day, that Jews are not to be molested or destroyed, that they were part of God’s plan for our salvation and that they will eventually be brought into the Kingdom of Heaven.

-Tim-

1 - It was secular society, in particular the theater that continued the practice of castrati into the 20th century.

2 - All Catholics for 2 or 3 generations were Jewish.

You seem to lend credence to every false accusation against The Church.
It is the accuser that has the burden to prove their accusation.
The principle is Innocent until Proven guilty.

I do plan on reading it, just don’t have time to sit down and do it at the moment.

just thought, since you were probably familiar with the subject, you could give some pointers. I do understand that it’s a complex subject.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.