Condemning people

Growing up I was always told it was wrong to condemn other people. And I do believe it’s wrong. However, I was reading in the Gospel of St. Matthew how St. John the Baptist condemned the pharisees, calling them brood of vipers and all. Even Jesus did so. My question is, is this considered to be condemnation? Thanks! :slight_smile:

Growing up I was always told it was wrong to condemn other people. And I do believe it’s wrong. However, I was reading in the Gospel of St. Matthew how St. John the Baptist condemned the pharisees, calling them brood of vipers and all. Even Jesus did so. My question is, is this considered to be condemnation? Thanks!:slight_smile:

Hi bp,

Jesus did not say “condemn”; he said “judge” We should not “judge” others, that is pass a judgment on their interior dispostions. Of course, we should censor bad behavior, but we should not label people as bad, because only God knows what is inside a person.

Does this answer your question?

Verbum

Somewhat. The reason I asked is because the Calee thing. You probably heard about the girl missing in Florida. There are people infront of the grandparrents’ house condemning the family, and I kind of felt St.John was doing something similar.

St John the Baptist was a prophet of God, and spoke the things that God wanted him to speak. Jesus, God incarnate, also condemned people. Both did so because these people were doing wrong, while considering themselves godly.

I wouldn’t go out and do the same thing today. We are asked to not condemn because we are to leave that to the Lord. St. John the Baptist was “preparing the way of the Lord.” He warned them of a time of judgement that was to come. Jesus was that judgement. Notice that he spent his time with the sinners and the poor. The spiritual people thought they were too good for him.

I would consider the behavior condemmed, not the people. People aren’t as loving as Christ is. So sometimes they attack the person, not the problem. Sometimes the people feel attacked even though it was the behavior that was being questioned.

Ahoy! Since it be International Talk Like a Pirate Day en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Talk_Like_a_Pirate_Day
Condemmin` scurvy lads and lasses to walk tha plank fer example be very fittin, even fer Catholic pirates.

Duplicate threads merged here.
MF

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.