Conditional Baptism Question

I am a non-Catholic curious about this form of baptism. I know the words are: If you are not yet baptized, I baptize you in the name of the Father + and of the Son + and of the Holy + Spirit.

Am I to understand that no water is involved, just the words? What stance does the priest assume if he is not pouring water three times? Where does Chrism fit into this? Does anyone have an example of a conditional baptism liturgy they would share with me?

Here’s some good reading on the subject, I only glanced over it so I’m not sure if it will answer all your questions:

catholic.com/thisrock/1995/9509fea3.asp

kensmen.com/catholic/baptism2.html

I’m pretty sure a conditional baptism is completely identical to a regular baptism, with water, chrism, etc. The only difference is the one you mentioned at the actual moment of baptism adding the words “if you are not already baptised.”

I’ve never seen anything authoritative on this, that’s just my impression.

Josh

Having had this situation come up the last 3 years in our parish, I can tell you the priest (not deacon) baptized following the full rite exactly, except adding the words, under his breath, “if you are not already baptized . . .”. The record was entered in the sacramental register as usual with the word (conditional) in parentheses below the date.

I recently baptized a baby who was doubtfully baptized in the hospital. We went through the normal rite with all the other babies. The only difference was the inaudible addition of the words “if you are not already baptized…” I used the Oil of Catechumens, water and the Sacred Chrism just as I would for any other child.

Deacon Ed

[quote=sussy]I am a non-Catholic curious about this form of baptism. I know the words are: If you are not yet baptized, I baptize you in the name of the Father + and of the Son + and of the Holy + Spirit.

Am I to understand that no water is involved, just the words? What stance does the priest assume if he is not pouring water three times? Where does Chrism fit into this? Does anyone have an example of a conditional baptism liturgy they would share with me?
[/quote]

Conditional Baptism is given privately, not in public. The Sacred Chrism, white garment, candle are all part of the Public or Solemn Rite of Baptism. Conditional Baptism is simple but does use the proper words, and water must also be used.

[quote=Deacon Ed]I recently baptized a baby who was doubtfully baptized in the hospital. We went through the normal rite with all the other babies. The only difference was the inaudible addition of the words “if you are not already baptized…” I used the Oil of Catechumens, water and the Sacred Chrism just as I would for any other child.

Deacon Ed
[/quote]

Just to note: The response below is for an adult Conditional Baptism. An infant as Deacon presented above if Baptized validly in an emergency is supplied the additional Rites of Baptism, except the pouring of water, at public liturgy. Or if doubt exists about the Baptism is Baptized Conditionally with the additional Rites.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.