Conditional Vs. Unconditional Election

What are some of the Scripture passages used to support unconditional election or conditional election?

It is my understanding that the Church allows Catholics to believe in either conditional or unconditional election, so long as they don’t believe in Calvinistic “double predestination” (the idea that God actively chooses some people to be damned just like He actively chooses some people to be sanctified). Is this correct?

Those Scriptures used are taken out of context.

or conditional election?

There are many. But Matt 25:31-46 is one of my favourites, since it shows that people who do good for others are they who will be saved.

It is my understanding that the Church allows Catholics to believe in either conditional or unconditional election, so long as they don’t believe in Calvinistic “double predestination” (the idea that God actively chooses some people to be damned just like He actively chooses some people to be sanctified). Is this correct?

I don’t think so. But it’s a confusing subject, so it may be true that some people say that.

I don’t think either Thomists or Molinists make Scriptural appeals the basis of their arguments.

The question ultimately comes down to, what is the difference between efficacious and sufficient grace, is it accidental (i.e. the grace given to this person worked, the grace given to this other person didn’t) or essential (i.e. a qualitative difference in God’s bestowal of it)? IOW, is the fact of efficacious grace being given ultimately due to God’s will, or due to the natural virtues of the each person?

It seems clear, to me anyway, that the Thomist position is eminently more reasonable.

Ultimately, WE are responsible for our Salvation, whether
we ACCEPT Jesus’ Covenant of blood at the Last Supper,
consummated on the Cross, or deny or reject it. God’s Love
is Unconditional, yes, but it is also Covenantal, God is offer-
ing us the invitation to the Wedding Banquet, all WE have
to do is RSVP to God and we are IN!

Scripture does not support one position over the other which is why multiple, if differing, positions can be legitimately held.

On that topic, 1 Jn 2:17 says: “…whoever does the
will of God will live forever.” that combined w/ Rom
12:2 saying that WE are to test and approve what
GOD’s will is proves that “election” is conditional
when it comes down to OUR choices!!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.