Condoms should u use them or not?

I want to know what you think about condoms. Should we use them or not? I think we should use them to prevent diseases. Even married people dont want to give their partner a disease and pregnancy. I dont think you should only have sex to reproduce. I think if you want to have sex just because your in love you should.

No, condoms are a form of birth control, and birth control is forbidden in the church. As for preventing disease, there should be no need to prevent disease - as sex is meant to be between a husband and a wife. Sex out of marriage is a sin. You shouldn’t commit sin after sin just to do what ‘feels good.’

I can tell you that nothing is better than having one partner, in marriage, you never have to worry about unwanted diseases, and pregnancy is always a blessing. You can always use NFP if you want to attempt to space out births.

[quote=mommy]As for preventing disease, there should be no need to prevent disease - as sex is meant to be between a husband and a wife. Sex out of marriage is a sin. .
[/quote]

Yes that is true but what if the person you marry already has a disease? What do u do then?

[quote=Jesusismyhomie]I want to know what you think about condoms. Should we use them or not? I think we should use them to prevent diseases. Even married people dont want to give their partner a disease and pregnancy. I dont think you should only have sex to reproduce. I think if you want to have sex just because your in love you should.
[/quote]

Why would a married person not want pregnancy? Babies are bundles of joy, not something bad. There should only be a real serious reason for spacing out births. You can’t just do it for selfish reasons.

That person should not be getting married. If that is the case, unless the other spouse is willing to accept the disease, you have to practice abstinance.

If the person you marry already has a disease, you either abstain or you risk the disease.

Nobody said marriage was easy.

For better, for worse. For richer, for poorer. In sickness and in health. . .

Condoms are a form of artificial birth control. Artificial birth control is intrinsically evil.

The ends do not justify the means. Ever.
You cannot do an evil action (use of condoms) in order that a good (freedom from disease) may result. That is a part and parcel of the Catholic faith, found in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. If you’re Catholic, you’re bound by it. It’s not “just a situation”, it doesn’t “change” because of some externals “beyond control”.

My sympathy to anyone who is bearing the particular cross of suffering with a severe or terminal illness. My sympathy to the spouse of that person, and to family and friends.

But my “sympathy” cannot trump God’s law and say, “Do evil in order to have good”.

My love and sympathy can’t turn a bad action into a good one.

No.

It’s birthcontrol and that is forbidden.

When you are married (the only time you should ever have sex) you become one flesh with your husband/wife. You fulfill that in giving yourself totally in sex. How can you be one flesh, with a peice of latex seperating you?

And if there is an illness or an STD, you can either abstain, or risk it. God is good, you may never get the STD.

Gee, these answers are not very fun! :frowning: Catholic moral theology is not for the faint hearted.

In case you were wondering the Pill is bad too. Besides being wrong simply by being birth control, it also cause abortions when an egg is fertilized but doesn’t attach to the uterus wall. It’s sad to think how many children die this way.

If you mean a sexually transmitted disease, abstain 100% from any activity that could/would cause you to get it.

[quote=felra]Gee, these answers are not very fun! :frowning: Catholic moral theology is not for the faint hearted.
[/quote]

They don’t sound fun to a teenager who has grown up in a world where sex is the ultimate object of life. But these teachings do lead to a true love and happiness in life (and afterlife).:thumbsup:

[quote=Genesis315]That person should not be getting married. If that is the case, unless the other spouse is willing to accept the disease, you have to practice abstinance.
[/quote]

Accept the disease what do u mean by that? That is so stupid. I can love someone without wanting their disease. “In sickness and in health” means that I accept them with the disease it does not mean I have to take the chance of catching it. Especially if it is fatal like aids. I am sure God would not want that for anyone nor would he ecpect a couple not to have sex If it means not spreading the disease. How would God say condoms and other types of birth control are bad if they were not around when he was alive.

Justateens profile says she’s 15 years old. Just want to point that out before this thread goes PG. :slight_smile: (Maybe too late)

[quote=Jesusismyhomie]Accept the disease what do u mean by that? That is so stupid. I can love someone without wanting their disease. “In sickness and in health” means that I accept them with the disease it does not mean I have to take the chance of catching it. Especially if it is fatal like aids. I am sure God would not want that for anyone nor would he ecpect a couple not to have sex If it means not spreading the disease. How would God say condoms and other types of birth control are bad if they were not around when he was alive.
[/quote]

Ok, you are making no sense. God is eternal. He’s around always and his divinely appointed authority on earth is the Catholic Church. Birth control was practiced before Jesus ever lived and God killed people who used it (Gen. 38:9-10). That’s how bad it is. Onnan “pulled out” and he was killed. What do you think happens with a condom? The “seed” (semen) does not go in the woman. It is spilled out. Just like Onnan did. God does not allow evil as a means to a good. Contraception is an evil. Period. It prevents life. Abstinence is required in that situation. You’re a human being, you have self-control. Sex is not a need for you. Many, many people lead perfectly healthy and happy lives without sex. Don’t let society tell you what to think. Sex is not the end all be all of life. Listen to God and his Church. You’ll find true happiness.

This is the 1st poll that I have viewed that shows the names of those who answered. :confused:

btw–Jesusismyhomie, I think you present a thought provoking situtation. Genesis gives you very good and faithful reasoning to abstain from having sex but love for ones husband or wife and temptation will probably take over (not everyone is that perfect) and intercourse will more then likely happen . In this case I would say absolutely use condoms to prevent the spread of disease.

I have voted no. I’ve recently stated some reasons here: forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=470705&postcount=18

If by condums you mean Natural Family Planning :rolleyes: , then yes. If by condums you mean condums, then no. Contraceptives are bad and sinful. If not out of respect for your spouse, then don’t use them out of respect for God.

Eamon

[quote=cove]This is the 1st poll that I have viewed that shows the names of those who answered. :confused:

btw–Jesusismyhomie, I think you present a thought provoking situtation. Genesis gives you very good and faithful reasoning to abstain from having sex but love for ones husband or wife and temptation will probably take over (not everyone is that perfect) and intercourse will more then likely happen . In this case I would say absolutely use condoms to prevent the spread of disease.
[/quote]

I’m sorry, but this is no good. The well being of your eternal soul is more important than your body and it’s urges. Sex is not a spasm. We are not animals. Self control is possible. It may be hard, but unite your suffering to the cross. If the person has AIDS, condoms are not reliable to prevent it, it can still go through. Many people get pregnant using condoms because many are defective (usually one in every box) and the HIV virus is smaller than a sperm cell so it goes through even easier. If the person has some other STD, there are many medications to supress the symptoms if you are willing to share in the suffering of your spouse (this may be a true sign of love). Evil is NEVER a means to a good. EVER. If someone is willing to reject God for sex because temptation is too strong that is their business. I hope and pray they go to confession with a truly sorry heart afterwards.

[quote=Genesis315]I’m sorry, but this is no good. The well being of your eternal soul is more important than your body and it’s urges. Sex is not a spasm. We are not animals. Self control is possible. It may be hard, but unite your suffering to the cross. If the person has AIDS, condoms are not reliable to prevent it, it can still go through. Many people get pregnant using condoms because many are defective (usually one in every box) and the HIV virus is smaller than a sperm cell so it goes through even easier. If the person has some other STD, there are many medications to supress the symptoms if you are willing to share in the suffering of your spouse (this may be a true sign of love). Evil is NEVER a means to a good. EVER. If someone is willing to reject God for sex because temptation is too strong that is their business. I hope and pray they go to confession with a truly sorry heart afterwards.
[/quote]

The disease is the greater evil.

[quote=cove]The disease is the greater evil.
[/quote]

And the only reliable way to prevent it is abstinance.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.