condoms

I just wanted to ask for for being curious I have read that these condoms don’t protect you like they’ve said before. I have never and never will use one. But this comes from the church right? Or is this an independent source?

:whistle:

Yeah. That’s what I thought about posting this. I hope it’s the right forum.

Where did you read this? Who said what? In any case, here’s the answer to your question:

cdc.gov/condomeffectiveness/latex.htm

Peace,
Ed

1. Read the box.
  2. Survey Parents
  3. (If you need a secular source from Hollywood) Watch Jurassic Park - “Life finds a way”

No.

Yes.

Hum This sounds like it’s praising condom use. Well we don’t believe in it. I’m not married and so have no need for NFP. It seems to me like I read something maybe on www.chastity.com and I thought condoms caused cancer. Over the centuries people have used lamb skin and many thing for this. I’ll see if I can dig something up. I thought for sure I read condoms were carcinogens. IMO a woman is a gift from God and everyone doesn’t get it. I just want to know God’s will for me before it’s to late for procreation that is.

I have never touched a box and find them degrading. What does the box say?

Condom ? What’s that for ? Sounds like a lawn mower brand…

In a perfect world, no one would need to know anything about condoms. However, it’s not a perfect world. Of course the CDC praises condom use. A large part of the CDC’s job is stopping the spread of disease. For STD’s, abstaining from sex or condom use are all we have. And even using a condom is no guarantee considering user error and that some diseases can be spread from skin to skin contact, which the condom does not prevent as it only sheaths the penis and not the surrounding skin.

No,I have never even heard a whisper of any kind of proof that condoms cause cancer. Latex is a common material and is what most condoms are made out of.

Sheep/lamb skin condoms are much less reliable as disease and pregnancy prevention as they have natural imperfections.

:rotfl:

It’s a serious subject, but that made me laugh.

Survey parents,huh? I’ll step up. I have one birth control pill baby and one condom baby. So, yeah, nothing is 100%!

I know a total of of kids conceived after vasectomies and, yes, there were DNA tests to prove it. One after a tubal ligation. I also know a couple babies born to young couples who were told they were infertile or that the chance of pregnancy was very low.

Life certainly does find a way!

That’s what I always think when I see advertisements for Durex paints.

Otherwise, everyone who wears latex gloves (food industry, medical industry, painters, sanitation workers, etc.) would be warned.

Latex can cause skin irritation and is potentially dangerous for asthmatics.

As for disease prevention, condoms won’t do much to stop HPV. You can get HPV from practically any skin to skin contact. When I was in high school wrestlers used to get it.

Not just HPV, but also genital herpes and syphilis. Apparently, according to the CDC, coming into contact with infected skin before, during, or after an outbreak, even if the skin appears normal, means possible infection transmission.

So glad to be married and not have to worry about this kind of stuff.

Well if these things are so safe and not cancerous, why is the church against them? Or are they not specifically against condoms just premarital sex and contraception in general. There’s certain things the church says I might disagree with but morality issues certainly isn’t one of them.

But life doesn’t find a way with contraception right? That’s the sin. So if a married couple doesn’t want children the best thing is not to come together then right? But what about unity then?

The Church has always taught premarital sex is wrong. Regarding artificial contraception:

"This was reiterated in the Catechism of the Catholic Church: “[E]very action which, whether in anticipation of the conjugal act, or in its accomplishment, or in the development of its natural consequences, proposes, whether as an end or as a means, to render procreation impossible is intrinsically evil” (CCC 2370). “Legitimate intentions on the part of the spouses do not justify recourse to morally unacceptable means . . . for example, direct sterilization or contraception” (CCC 2399).

"The Church also has affirmed that the illicitness of contraception is an infallible doctrine: “The Church has always taught the intrinsic evil of contraception, that is, of every marital act intentionally rendered unfruitful. This teaching is to be held as definitive and irreformable. Contraception is gravely opposed to marital chastity, it is contrary to the good of the transmission of life (the procreative.aspect of matrimony), and to the reciprocal self-giving of the spouses (the unitive.aspect of matrimony); it harms true love and denies the sovereign role of God in the transmission of human life” (Vademecum for Confessors 2:4, Feb. 12, 1997).

Peace,
Ed

Yes.

There’s no other reason to be against them.

Most people haven’t really bothered to learn why contraception is sinful. Instead they settle for over-simplified answers that don’t stand up to the test of life’s trials over time. Don’t be one of those people. Do more reading than internet forums. At the root, the physical sterility of contracepted sex is only a surficial symptom of something FAR deeper that has been altered when the couple intentionally sterilizes their union. But since we live in a culture that no longer believes in anything that can’t be measured, weighed, photographed, we’ve decided we’re smarter than God himself and can alter His design with impunity. Problem is that we’re NOT smarter than God. We’re a whole lot dumber. We don’t even remotely begin to understand the power that the sexual bond has in married couples, so we’re extremely foolish to blithely ignore behaviors that God has warned us will damage our marriages.

As I said in my post on page one, I have a baby conceived while taking birth control pills and another baby when I was using condoms. Both methods of contraception I was using as instructed. I personally know a total of 3 kids conceived after the father had a vasectomy with DNA tests to prove it and another baby conceived after the mother had her tubes tied. So, yes, life does find a way.

If a married couple doesn’t want children they will decide what to do about it. Generally, either contracept, even though it is against Church teachings, or only have sex during the female’s non-fertile time of the month.

Unity in marriage is about a lot more than sex although sex is a part of it. A large part for some. But when it is not safe to have sex due to fear of pregnancy there are other things a couple can do to feel close. Cuddle, talk about any and every thing, do some sort of project or hobby together, etc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.