Conerned about possibly taking the Lord's Name in vain

Hello everyone, I have been away from CAF for a while. I hope everyone had a blessed Christmas and wish you a good 2014. Anyways, I am a little concerned about something I said earlier today. My friends were talking about something (cannot remember exactly what), and after hearing their disapproval towards the thing they were talking about, I added a “Yeah, it is God-awful.”

Now, I don’t really know where that came from. I have said it once before and I want to stop it before it becomes a habit. However, when I said it this time, I thought about it for a second or two before saying it. I am concerned it constituted a grave matter and that I had full knowledge and consent of it.

Also, my spiritual director is away and I cannot reach him. Thank you for your input.

When I confessed to taking God’s name in vain, the priest told me to say “God, may your name be praised forever” in order to remedy it. He did not act like it was moral sin…but then again, I am not sure if I had full knowledge and consent.

In many of the Catholic “Examination of Conscience” sites on the internet that function by listing offenses against each Commandment, the casual use of G*d’s name is listed as a sin.

I used to have an urban youth ministry and one of my rules was for the kids to not use vulgar language, but at first they would still allude to the vulgar words. For example one might say “F that.” So the rule was added “No alluding to vulgar language.” Some months later it dawned on me that I was alluding to taking the Lord’s Name in vain when I said things like “Golldarnit”.

In your case you are aware of the slip up and trying to correct it. Those are elements of repentance.

“Among all the words of Revelation, there is one which is unique: the revealed name of God. God confides his name to those who believe in him; he reveals himself to them in his personal mystery. The gift of a name belongs to the order of trust and intimacy. “The Lord’s name is holy.” For this reason man must not abuse it. He must keep it in mind in silent, loving adoration. He will not introduce it into his own speech except to bless, praise, and glorify it.” (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 2143)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.