Confederate Statues were Built to Further a 'White Supremacist Future'

Confederate Statues Were Built To Further A ‘White Supremacist Future’

^The article details some information about the construction of Confederate statues. The history of it is very unsavory.

Posted above is a timeline showing when Confederate statues were erected. The major spike was during the rise of the Jim Crow laws after the turn of the century. Another smaller spike was during the Civil Rights Movement.

We are rehashing this issue again! I disagree. Keep the statues. They are part of our history.

5 Likes

As part of our history, they belong in a museum. Not on a pedestal in our public squares.

Why not let each town work through what they want to commemorate?

I think that they are.

hmmm, I wonder which party was involved in these “spikes” of Civil War memorial–building?

1 Like

well we know who created the jim crow laws

Jim Crow laws were state and local laws that enforced racial segregation in the Southern United States. Enacted by white Democratic-dominated state legislatures in the late 19th century after the Reconstruction period, these laws continued to be enforced until 1965. (wiki)

2 Likes

What a tired empty talking point.

We also all know how Republican the whites in those states have become since are since championed the the civil rights movement.

Actually the only tired old talking point is progs using the “Southern Strategy” which is just a myth they created, which doesn’t reflect reality.

1 Like

The study may be interesting, but the link doesn’t say anything about racial attitudes across economic strata, the trend toward blue in among the states there that enjoy healthier economies, let alone the clear rhetoric of national campaigns durign the transtion period.

The authors may seek to reframe the changes that have occurred, ignoring confounding variables other another pertinent information, but they have not proven a thing.

Here is a thoughtful review of the book, toghether with some others on the subject.

Not much of a review except to acknowledge they applied proper data driven political analysis to the subject. The other books seem to focus on spinning a story.

Agreed. The white supremacists should stop descending on towns who want to remove their statues.

Did it? It acknowledge the use of polling data and regression analysis. But it also pointed out some of the same methodological deficiencies that I did.

Nope, you didn’t point out any deficiencies in their study.
You just referenced “clear rhetoric”, without supporting it.

1 Like

Please.

“… doesn’t say anything about racial attitudes across economic strata, the trend toward blue in among the states there that enjoy healthier economies”

Unpacking a bit more: how are race and economic strata confounded; how is receptivity to a small government message of eg, lower taxed, conflated with racial anxieties in a place confounded different in a place that recently had federal troops there enforcing desegregation - especially in light of the clear messaging in campaigns; how does this theory explain the bluing of the states such as VA, NC, GA that are more prosperous in the modern economies?

So you are projecting, adding your narrative on top of what the data shows.

I admit emotions were complex, be there is no evidence of a southern strategy, unless you call that the GOP economic message, which wasn’t racist in tone or scope.

1 Like

I am pointing out likes of evidence and analysis that are not pursued in this study. That is called criticism, not projection. Do you referee journal articles?

the point is who put up the statues. you can’t change history even though the left tries to.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.