Confessing past sins and also writing lists

I confessed some past sins in Confession that I don’t remember confessing, but apparently (from what I’ve read online just now) you’re supposed to say to the priest that you don’t remember confessing them. I just said that they were some past sins I wanted to confess. Do I have to do anything next confession or am I ok?

Also, supposedly you’re supposed to destroy any lists you make for confessing your sins. Does that mean you have to actually burn them, or does ripping them up and throwing them away suffice?

So you forgot a mortal sin and then when you remembered it you confessed it (number and kind -and if something changes the kind) without noting that you had forgotten it (as opposed to having hid it -which is a different story and would be addressed with the Priest)?

Or you forgot a venial sin that you wanted to confess and did not note that it was from the past?

I would not say one needs to do anything more. (unless of course you remember a mortal sin one forgot–then when one confesses it I would note it was forgotten in the past).

Going forward with joy.

As to the list - destroy it once is not needed - where no one can read it.

You can burn it, rip it up, fed it to a lion (who is going to go through a lions poop…)…etc.

So if I forgot to say I forgot to confess sin x and x was mortal, I’d have to mention next confession that I forgot to say last time that I forgot to confess in the past sin x?

So you forgot (did not hide it) a mortal sin and then when you remembered it you confessed it - but just forgot to say “it was forgotten”? That is what your asking now?

I would not say one needs to do anything more. You confessed it.

But in the future if you should recall a mortal sin that has not been confessed -that was forgotten - note that it was forgotten. So the Priest knows you did not do this last week. Especially if one say lived a rather sinful life before - has repented - and now lives as a Christian.

Now if you wish in your next confession you can simply say “last confession I confessed a past forgotten mortal sin but I forgot to note that it was forgotten from the past - I do not need to do anything more right?” -and the Priest will say “right” or “correct” etc.

Yep.

I would not say one needs to do anything more. You confessed it.

Ok. Thank you for your insight.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.