Confessing past sins...

So here’s what’s up…

Looking back, I’ve discovered, or am almost positive, that some sins I’ve confessed in the past weren’t really what I did per se, but that I was willing to do them.

For instance (not what happened, but an example), let’s say I said to somebody that I disagreed with bishop XYZ’s support for an increase in taxes, but thought I was committing the sin of detraction against a bishop while doing that. I would then go and confess something similar to “I committed detraction against a bishop 1x”.

So, would I have to in my next confession go and say, “In the past, I was willing to commit detraction against a bishop 1x”, since that’s the actual sin? Or would I not have to do anything? I’ve also forgotten any specific times I’ve done that, but I know I have…

Scrupulosity. You told the sin the way you saw it then. You were absolved. If you didn’t know you were committing a mortal sin, you didn’t. You have to know it. Why don’t you accept God’s love for you instead of rehashing old sins?

I agree with sscott. You are absolved and forgiven. Didn’t you say to Father, “for these and all the sins of my past life I’m truly sorry?” … You are a saint, at least as close as you can be here on earth. Smile, God loves you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.