Confession & advice?

Is it proper to ask for advice during a confession or should I make a separate appointment for that? Do priests even give appointments for advice ?

Thank you!

Yes one may ask questions in confession. It may though not be the right time if say the question is not about sins or the like or it will take too much time at a regularly scheduled confession time.

So would it be proper to ask for a special appt. to discuss something which does involve sins but not just mine but some things others are doing to me and family? I have confessed my part already but there are issues that are happening that I don't know how/what is best way to deal with them. I could do a face to face about it. I don't mind that but I'm not sure if the priest will want to tell me what to do.

[quote="Rae8, post:3, topic:341586"]
So would it be proper to ask for a special appt. to discuss something which does involve sins but not just mine but some things others are doing to me and family? I have confessed my part already but there are issues that are happening that I don't know how/what is best way to deal with them. I could do a face to face about it. I don't mind that but I'm not sure if the priest will want to tell me what to do.

[/quote]

One may always ask for an appointment to discuss difficulties to seek the Priests counsel. Some things are better discussed in confession some things are better discussed outside (and if it involves confession one would need to give the Priest permission to discuss ones confession if that becomes a matter of discussion)

Yes it is appropriate to ask pertinent questions regarding your confessed sins. But remember that there are those in line who may need to really see the priest that day so you don't want to take too much time. Once you receive absolution you are without the sin and further extensive counseling should take place outside the confessional. This can be done under the sacramental seal so that it stays with the priest. So, yes, ask for advice but do not go on and on for the sake of others.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.