Confession and attending Mass

Sometimes I would like to go to confession during Sunday Mass, but I wonder if confessing doesn’t mean that I no longer take part at the celebration and that I will not fulfill my Sunday obligation. It’s not about skipping 5 min, but like 20 min.
Maybe you will advice me to go on another day, but I would like to know the answer in this particular case. Thank you!

While Confession can be heard during Mass – one would yes need to attend Mass as well to fulfill ones obligation.

Missing say perhaps the first couple readings while in the confessional is one thing…missing a good deal of Mass or missing the Eucharistic Prayer is another…

20 minute confession -- I would do outside of Mass.

Just make an appointment.

Further readings

"The faithful are to be constantly encouraged to accustom themselves to going to confession outside the celebration of Mass, and especially at the prescribed times. In this way, the sacrament of Penance will be administered calmly and with genuine profit, and will not interfere with active participation in the Mass. Those who receive Communion daily or very frequently should be counseled to go to confession at times suitable to the individual case. - See more at: adoremus.org/eucharisticummysterium.html#sthash.4UICxAib.dpuf

Dubium regarding such: adoremus.org/confessions1001.html

jimmyakin.com/2006/01/fulfilling_ones.html

I always go to confession DURING Sunday Mass. I should probably go before Mass but I am just a lazy procrastinator. Depending on how many people are waiting in line for confession I will sometimes miss the readings and parts of the homily. I am very thankful that my parish has priests hearing confessions during Mass. At my parish the priest usually exits the confessional when Communion is about to be distributed so he can help out the other priest(s). My parish is really big and we have lots of people attending Mass.

[quote="Julie_de_Sales, post:1, topic:329506"]
Sometimes I would like to go to confession during Sunday Mass, but I wonder if confessing doesn't mean that I no longer take part at the celebration and that I will not fulfill my Sunday obligation. It's not about skipping 5 min, but like 20 min.
Maybe you will advice me to go on another day, but I would like to know the answer in this particular case. Thank you!

[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.