Confession and communion jitters

Every time i leave confession and get communion I always am scared that I’ve done it unworthily. I can’t prove to myself that I did, but it’s always in the back of my mind. My question is this-do people who say a bad confession or recieve communion in mortal sin know for sure what they’re doing, or are there instances like me where they think they’re doing everything right but still do it unworthily? …Or am I being too scrupulous?..

Any of you feel the same way?

I just added this website to the Resources/Links sticky thread at the top of the forum:

Scrupulous Anonymous:

mission.liguori.org/newsletters/scrupanon.htm

You may find it helpful.

I think you are being too scrupulous :wink: and it seems these scruples are a distraction for you. If you go to Confession and don’t intentionally hold back your sins from the priest, you are forgiven. Try to trust in God’s mercy… distrust really distrances us from Him.

If you have mortal sin, go to Confession. If it’s venial, say an act of contrition and ask for God’s mercy during Mass. Then, focus no more on these sins, but consider what happens at Communion: you receive Christ into yourself and He unites Himself with you. This is an occasion of joy not only for you, but for Him also. Don’t doubt His forgiveness… trust in God’s mercy, thank Him for it, and go and receive Communion with peace.

I used to struggle with this same thing and sometimes I still do, but it really does tend to distract us from the reality of the Sacrament. I’m sure God sees your good intention: that you want to receive Him worthily - but in Communion, focus on loving Him and not on your sinfulness. Give your sinfulness over to Him, and let Him forgive you, and absolve you by the hand of His representative.

Don’t ever doubt Confession. If you withheld anything from the priest, you would know it, cause it’s an intentional act and not accidental.

God bless

(from Divine Mercy in My Soul by St Faustina)

“Today, the Lord said to me, Daughter, when you go to confession, to this fountain of My mercy, the Blood and Water which came forth from My Heart always flow down upon your soul and ennobles it. Every time you go to confession, immerse yourself entirely in My mercy, with great trust, so that I may pour the bounty of My grace upon your soul. When you approach the confessional, know this, that I myself am waiting there for you. I am only hidden by the priest, but I myself act in your soul. Here the misery of the soul meets the God of mercy. Tell souls that from this fount of mercy souls draw graces solely with the vessel of trust. If their trust is great, there is no limit to My generosity. The torrents of grace inundate humble souls. The proud remain always in poverty and misery, because My grace turns away from them to humble souls.”

remember, the only way to say a ‘bad confession’ is if you intentionally withhold your sins, with knowledge that you are doing this. Otherwise, - when you come out of the confessional your soul is completely clean, as if you were just baptized :slight_smile:

if you think you’re doing everything right, you probably are. Trust God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.