Confession and communion prep

A friend of mine that teaches 2nd grade PSR (our parish only does this one year for sacrament prep, and most prep is done in class not at home with the parents although there are a few afternoon retreats throughout the year) has been asked by our new priest to consider buying a new text. Our program uses Faith and Life, but since the 2nd grade text is not really designed to be a stand alone sacramental prep text, they actually use very little of their book. The priest wants to have something more than a syllabus and catechist's notes so should the need arise, someone else could teach the program. I told my friend I would ask on here about what other parish's use for their sacramental prep programs. What do you use, what do you wish you could use, or do you think what we already have is the best option?

[quote="journey137, post:1, topic:211003"]
A friend of mine that teaches 2nd grade PSR (our parish only does this one year for sacrament prep, and most prep is done in class not at home with the parents although there are a few afternoon retreats throughout the year) has been asked by our new priest to consider buying a new text. Our program uses Faith and Life, but since the 2nd grade text is not really designed to be a stand alone sacramental prep text, they actually use very little of their book. The priest wants to have something more than a syllabus and catechist's notes so should the need arise, someone else could teach the program. I told my friend I would ask on here about what other parish's use for their sacramental prep programs. What do you use, what do you wish you could use, or do you think what we already have is the best option?

[/quote]

If I were making decisions, I would hold off on switching textbooks at least until after the new translation is fully implemented. Especially in Sacrament years, the texts incorporate prayers from Mass and those will be changing soon. :thumbsup:

We use F&L for our 1-8 program. Have you looked at the newer material on their website? ignatius.com/promotions/FaithAndLife/downloads.htm The downloads are designed to adapt the F&L to a parish CCE program instead of a Catholic school one. Also, each year has a teachers' manual with excellent catechist notes.

We also use the St. Joseph's First Communion Catechism as a supplement. It used to be the spine book for First Communion but the F&L material is so comprehensive the 2nd grade teacher says she uses St. Joseph's less and less.

Good luck.

That’s a good point about the new translation coming soon. I hadn’t considered that :o Our DRE has printed out a guide to help the teachers get the main points without all the extra stuff we don’t have time to do. It’s very similar if not the same as the guide on their website. As far as supplemental material, our 2nd grade teacher has a ton of handouts and things, but they are not bound in a book. They are just things that have been picked up here and there throughout a decade plus of teaching the class.

I’ve never looked at the Faith & Life 2nd grade text and am just going by what I’ve been told about it not being good for most of our kids because it’s way above their level of understanding. Most of our kids coming in for sacraments have never been taught religion before so all total, they get about 10 1.5 hr classes and one afternoon retreat with their parents for their confession prep and about 10 1.5 hr classes and one afternoon retreat with their parents for their communion prep.

We are a Jesuit parish and use the Finding God series from Loyola Press because it is rooted in Ignation spirituality. The 2nd grade classroom materials adequately cover the sacraments. They also offer wonderful materials for at-home reinforcement (reeducation of the parents).

There are a number of good programs that are Sacrament Prep specific.

I suggest going to www.comcenter.com and clicking on Sacraments and RCIA to review some programs.

There are lots of choices. Ask you dicoese if they have specific approved texts they want you to use.

we use faith and life, too, in our parish program. in addition, for first sacrament prep, we use 2 books:
loyola press: God's Gift Reconciliation
and God's Gift eucharist

they're good. not awesome good great, but good.

we use it for kids to homestudy with their parents. uncertain parents feel comfortable-- less intimidated to use these texts. well-catechized parents are a little skeptical; while the artwork is not PanderingToKidsStupid it''s still kid style artwork. but they are surprised to find the content is good.

they have spanish translations too. loyolapress.com/gods-gift-family-resources-english.htm

we will be using the Harcourt sacramental program for middle grades this year, since it is almost the only thing out their specific on reconciliation and communion for grades 4-6, we will most likely use it for Jr. High as well, since communion candidates in those classes are delayed in coming to sacraments most often due to learning disabilities or challenges.

Harcourt Religion has recently been acquired by Our Sunday Visitor. the also have a version for 2nd-3rd grade, but it is 2 separate books.

We use Christ our Life from Loyola Press for CCD grades K-6, and the 2nd grade text has very good coverage of the sacraments so we find no need for a supplement. 3 parent meetings on the Mass and participation in the Eucharist and preparation for confession, plus retreats just before each sacrament round things out nicely. We must be doing Okay because families from surrounding parishes ask to come here since they often feel preparation is more thorough here.

I am disappointed with both Sadlier and Loyola's separate sacramental books because they are more scrapbooks or memory books and journals than they are preparation.

like your pastor I am moving toward coordinating resources overall in the program so anyone can teach each segment, any of the sacramental catechists, that is.

I am disappointed with both Sadlier and Loyola's separate sacramental books because they are more scrapbooks or memory books and journals than they are preparation.

you're right that they have a heavy component of family activity.

i'm going to call Harcourt and ask for samples of the texts you mentioned. we really need prep texts like the ones you mentioned because every year we have familes come back into the church with older, baptized but uncatechized older kids needing sacraments.

puzzleannie, what would be the reason your parish is choosing the higher level texts as your primary sacrament prep texts?

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will pass them on :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.