Confession and Communion question

This question came up recently. I am a devout Catholic who tries to follow Church teaching as best as I can. Let’s say I commit a mortal sin that affects no other people, only myself and my relationship with God. I immediately regret it and feel deep remorse for having offended God. Because of limited confession times and my hectic work schedule the earliest that I can get to confession would be about two weeks. Now I have committed a mortal sin, but I am not living in a state of perpetual sin (like living with a woman while not married). Is it correct teaching that I cannot receive Communion until I can confess this one sin even though I am sorry for it and am not repeating it? I am a convert of several years and have never been in this position. Thanks for your answers!

To have perfect contrition for a mortal sin is not something of which we can be assured. Therefor we need to partake of the sacrament of confession to be assured of our absolution. You would need to wait to receive the Eucharist until you’ve been to confession. I would see if I can get an appointment with the priest for a confession to be absolved of this mortal sin.

BTW, are you sure that this is a mortal sin and you’re not being scrupulous?

Thanks. This what I thought. And yes, I’m sure it’s mortal.

Sometimes you can approach Father before Mass and ask him to hear a quick confession or not receive and ask him after Mass.

JMR

Hi Coachkfan1:

I would say that relying perfection contrition is risky business as the other poster implied.

I think you need to make the time to go to Confession by appointment.

:gopray:

Can. 916 A person who is conscious of grave sin is not to celebrate Mass or receive the body of the Lord without previous sacramental confession unless there is a grave reason and there is no opportunity to confess; in this case the person is to remember the obligation to make an act of perfect contrition which includes the resolution of confessing as soon as possible.

Since a lay person is only obliged to receive Communion at Easter time, it is highly unlikely that he will have no opportunity to confess before he is obliged to receive.

The 'Perfect Contrition" exception is for a priest who must receive at any mass he celebrates, and may not have another priest nearby to whom he may confess.

I agree with the other replies, but would like to re-frame the response.

You have committed a mortal sin. You think there is a pretty good chance that if you had a heart attack you might not be going to heaven, etc, etc. I think this is a good time to re-evaluate your priorities: hectic work schedule or confession, which is more important right now?

Even if you could licitly receive Holy Communion before confession, you will still have to answer to God why you chose not to go to confession for two weeks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.