Confession and Oriental Orthodox

Do the Oriental Orthodox consider the sacrament of Confession to be as important as the Eastern Orthodox and Catholics?

Oh, yes!

I have been told that in the Armenian Church, the penitent puts his head in the Priest’s lap, like a child turning to his father.

Don’t keep trying to kid yourselves, it in the heart that matters, its the heart ------,
Ask your pastor to return this prayer to the Mass.:):):slight_smile:

Holy Michael, the Archangel, defend us in battle; be our safe guard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray; and you, Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God cast into hell Satan and all the evil spirits, who wander through the world seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus; have mercy on us:):):):):slight_smile:

Um, what does this have to do with the thread? :confused:

Wow, very interesting and beautiful.

But, the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox hierarchs bemoan the loss of individual confession.

74.6.146.127/search/cache?ei=UTF-8&p=Armenian+Orthodox+confession&fr=moz35&u=www.geocities.com/derghazar/ACC_AAC.DOC&w=armenian+orthodox+confession&d=YAz2OxlMTOcA&icp=1&.intl=us

mentions this loss.

It would go without saying that this is the case, since the OO acknowledge the exact same seven sacraments as the CC and the EO.

In the Coptic Orthodox Church, the priest says formal prayers of absolution NUMEROUS times. Just a few of these are:

1. During the sacrament of penance.
  2. at the end of evening and morning offering of incense.
  3. after the office of midnight prayer (the prayer for the absolution of ministers)
  4. During baptism, Unction, and Matrimony.
  5. the service of foot-washing on Maundy Thursday.
    etc., etc.

Before a penitent enters the sanctuary, the confessor says THREE prayers of absolution over him/her (said silently) to the Son.

During the Mass, there is (said aloud) prayers of absolution for the ministers (said after the offertory prayer), and a prayer of absolution to the Father (said after the fraction).

Master, Lord God, the Almighty, healer of our souls, our bodies and our spirits, Though hast said to our Father Peter, through the mouth of Thy Only-begotten Son our Lord, God, and Savior Jesus Christ: "Thou art Peter, and on this rock I build my Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against her. I will deliver the keys of the Kingdom to thee, what though bindst on earth shall be bound in heaven, and what though loosest on earth shall be loosed in heaven. May, O Lord, Thy servants, my fathers and brethren, and my own weakness, be absolved from my mouth, through Thy Holy Spirit, O good and lover of mankind…

Blessings,
Marduk

I must be missing something? What is your point?? :slight_smile:

I didn’t know about Armenians and regular general absolution before receiving the Eucharist. I’m not aware of any other Apostolic Church having done that, as a regular practice. I remember reading of general absolution in the Song of Roland (granted not strictly historical), but that case is particular by the circumstances of war and imminent death.

So far as I know, the Armenians are the only ones to have largely gone over to general absolution only. It was a gradual change in which the “extreme circumstance” became the norm over time. :frowning:

Peace and God bless!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.