Confession and purgatory in the Bible

Hi all,
I have had many questions when I teach Bible class about confession and purgatory. Does anyone know any good links to help explain this. And does anyone know of any references or verses in the Bible. Thanks for any info.

:smiley:

Biblical and Jewish Traditional Beliefs About Purgatory

Catholic Confession

"I Find No Sacraments In the Bible" he said.

Confession (Fathers*)

Forgiveness of Sins

Purgatory

The Roots of Purgatory (Fathers*)

Confession

Purgatory (Scripture Catholic)

My Reformation Theory

Please note the way that Christ taught regarding the dealings with sin in the church…

Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican. Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. (Matthew 18:15-20 KJV)

Please note that binding and loosing is in the hands of all Christians and in all cases whether it is between the victim and the offender or in front of the church, Christ is in the midst. This is illustrated for us in 1 Corinthians 5…

Purgatory is not in scripture.

So then every milkmaid will interpret the Bible her way, and every milkmaid will bind and loose whichever she pleases??? Sounds like the kind of chaos that would bring about 34,000 plus non-Catholic protester type churches.

You definitely need an authority. “in the hands of all Christians”??? is way off the mark…way off.:eek:

*Now, there are several places in Scripture that indicate the existence of a place of purification after death. The most well-known passage in the Old Testament about this truth is found in the Second Book of Maccabees. The passage is a little long, but it is worth quoting at length because it is so important:

Judas Maccabees and his men went to gather up the bodies of the slain (after the battle) and bury them with their kinsmen in their ancestral tombs. But under the tunic of each of the dead they found amulets sacred to the idols of Jamnia, which the law forbids the Jews to wear. So it was clear to all that this was why these men had been slain… He then took up a collection among all his soldiers, amounting to 2,000 silver drachmas, which he sent to Jerusalem to provide for an expiatory sacrifice. In doing this he acted in a very excellent and noble way… It was a holy and pious thought. Thus he made atonement for the dead that they might be freed from sin." (2 Mac. 12:39-40, 43, 45-46)

In the New Testament Christ warns us that “we will not be released until we have paid the last penny” (Mt 5:26), and St. Paul states in his First Letter to the Corinthians that “if someone’s work is burned up… the person will be saved, but only by fire” (3:15). Now the doctrine of purgatory alone can explain this passage of St. Paul’s. Karl Keating, a well-respected apologist, explains, “this ‘loss’ that he speaks about cannot refer to hell, because no one is saved there; and it cannot refer to heaven, because there is no suffering by fire there.” *opusangelorum.org/Formation/Purgatory.html

This thread has been pruned of off topic posts counter to the Catholic faith.

Since the OP has asked for help in teaching Catholic beliefs, non-Catholics who disagree with said teachings, (in this case Confession and Purgatory) should open their own threads or search out existing threads on these topics to discuss/debate them.

The clear purpose of this thread is to equip a Catholic teacher with the tools to properly instruct Catholic students as to their faith.

Therefor counter arguments are not allowed under the Forum Rules, which state:

CONDUCT RULES[LIST=1]
*]Messages posted to this board must be polite and free of personal attacks, threats, and crude or sexually-explicit language, rude comments and innuendo.
*]Do not use abbreviated terms such as “Prots” or “radtrad” etc. that may be offensive to the group to which they refer. Full names are best.
*]Do not use character substitutions in proper names, such as “Amerikkkans” or “Demonrats” or “Repubicans” etc.
*]Inappropriate or offensive graphics, links, or profile entries are not permitted.
*]Messages should be short. Do not post lengthy replies (especially replies that consist largely of quotes from an earlier message).
*]Do not view the discussion area as a vehicle for single-mindedly promoting an agenda.
*]Non-Catholics are welcome to participate but must be respectful of the faith of the Catholics participating on the board.[/LIST]Thank you for your co-operation.
MF

This thread has been pruned of off topic posts counter to the Catholic faith even though likely offered in good faith.

Since the OP has asked for help in teaching Catholic beliefs, non-Catholics who disagree with said teachings, (in this case Confession and Purgatory) should open their own threads or search out existing threads on these topics to discuss/debate them.

The clear purpose of this thread is to equip a Catholic teacher with the tools to properly instruct Catholic students as to their faith.

Therefor counter arguments are not allowed under the Forum Rules, which state:

CONDUCT RULES[LIST=1]
*]Messages posted to this board must be polite and free of personal attacks, threats, and crude or sexually-explicit language, rude comments and innuendo.
*]Do not use abbreviated terms such as “Prots” or “radtrad” etc. that may be offensive to the group to which they refer. Full names are best.
*]Do not use character substitutions in proper names, such as “Amerikkkans” or “Demonrats” or “Repubicans” etc.
*]Inappropriate or offensive graphics, links, or profile entries are not permitted.
*]Messages should be short. Do not post lengthy replies (especially replies that consist largely of quotes from an earlier message).
*]Do not view the discussion area as a vehicle for single-mindedly promoting an agenda.
*]Non-Catholics are welcome to participate but must be respectful of the faith of the Catholics participating on the board.[/LIST]Thank you for your co-operation.
MF

Since nothing unclean can enter the presence of God, and since hardly anyone is completely free of sin and/or attachment to sin at the moment of death, Purgatory is a logical construct. I believe the problems come in because human beings often speak of Purgatory in terms of time served, as in prison. But God is not bound by time; neither is the soul newly finding itself in eternity.

And anyway, Purgatory can happen in the blink of an eye. When the sinner faces the Beatific Vision and sees how unworthy he is compared to God’s goodness, the moment of repentance is followed immediately by the same forgiveness that was given the Prodigal Son.

So since we believe we are going to be judged, that we will face God and that we will not be utterly clean, then purgation (i.e. “purification”) might just happen right there in, er, court. :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.