Confession and the Interwebs

(1) If I am unsure what my penance is (most likely something like 2 hail Mary’s) can I say 5 Hail Mary’s just to cover it?

(2) If I click on an image on google search, do the websites of other images that pop-up associated with the first image, have such a connection with the first that I would be supporting the other websites by clicking on the image of the first one? (Hope that wasn’t too confusing).

Basically am I cooperating in any way to supporting the websites of the images associated with the original searched for image by looking at the latter?

Thanks

quote="fakename, post:1, topic:328216" If I am unsure what my penance is (most likely something like 2 hail Mary's) can I say 5 Hail Mary's just to cover it?

[/quote]

You can do more penance if you want to, or if you are unsure (or forget) your penance. The forgiveness of your sins is not dependent on the amount of penance you do, but on the absolution the priest gives to you in the confessional.

But it is still necessary to do penance, because when we sin, we break the relationship with God and our fellow men. When we do penance, we are able to make reparation. Christ's sacrifice on the cross removed our sins once and for all, but when we do penance we are able to participate in His redemptive suffering.

(2) If I click on an image on google search, do the websites of other images that pop-up associated with the first image, have such a connection with the first that I would be supporting the other websites by clicking on the image of the first one? (Hope that wasn't too confusing).

Basically am I cooperating in any way to supporting the websites of the images associated with the original searched for image by looking at the latter?

Thanks

No you are not cooperating, because Google is a search engine and will come up with the most popular links/images. Sometimes typing in an innocent enough word will lead you to extremely obscene pictures. It's not your fault, it's just the Internet.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.