Confession at a monastery

If you go to a Benedictine monastery for mass in france, say Fontgombault where there is daily mass open to the laity, could there also be confession available or are the Benedictines not allowed to hear confessions of the laity?

I ask this question because in Italy at a Cistercian Monastery near us there is no way to hear mass, certainly not make confession, as they are cloistered and never allowed contact with any lay people.

[quote="Elizahbeth, post:1, topic:289061"]
If you go to a Benedictine monastery for mass in france, say Fontgombault where there is daily mass open to the laity, could there also be confession available or are the Benedictines not allowed to hear confessions of the laity?

I ask this question because in Italy at a Cistercian Monastery near us there is no way to hear mass, certainly not make confession, as they are cloistered and never allowed contact with any lay people.

[/quote]

Their job is to the inside: "ora et labora", work and pray, not hearing confessions.

Benedictines are on call for confession. There is a bell provided for the non-scheduled confession times.

Just speak to a priest, they will normally do ad hoc confessions. I've been to confessions at various Benedictine abbeys.

Thank you all for the reponses to my question.

At the Benedictine Abby in Abbotsford, BC, Canada, confessions were heard before mass and if I remember correctly after also. There were several monks in the confessionals.

Perhaps it is the same in Fontgombault. They dont have anything on their web site about confessions ( only times for mass and vespers, which has got to be wonderful).

It could be that a diocesan priest hears confessions in Fontgombault, and with priests so scarce in small rural towns it doesnt seem likely that it would be only the diocesan priest who is allowed to administer sacraments in the villages.

I am not adjusted to the requirement of calling and making an appointment for confessions. That seems overcomplicated and kind of self agrandizing to me. Ive always liked weekly confession which is impossible in all three towns I have lived in here in Italy.

I dont speak french well enough to telephone them and I have not found an email address for the abbey, would anyone know if they have email?

Thank you James Miller for that information, so simple.

Not true. You can confess at a benedictine monastery. At the abbey I’m associated with, 1/2 hr before Sunday Mass. Otherwise at any time you can ask to see a monk who is also a priest for confession.

When I was a new Catholic thirty years ago I often made my confession at a Dominican monastery, by just turning up at the door. They had a small room set aside near the front door for that purpose. I don’t know about the Benedectines, however, and times have changed also, with fewer priests in the monasteries.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.