Confession Backed Up by Saint Paul

**‘And to whom you have pardoned anything, I also. for what I have pardoned, if I have pardoned anything for your sakes have I done it in the person of Christ’

‘I also. The Apostle here granted an indulgence, or pardon, in the person and by the authority of Christ, to the incestuous Corinthian, whom before he had put under pennance, which pardon consisted in a releasing of part of the temporal punishment due to his sin.’

2 Collossians 2:10**

Confess your sins one to another. When was the last time your priest confessed his sins to you.

You and I do not have the God-given authority to forgive sins. Therefore, priests confess to those who do have such authority - other priests. Even the pope has a confessor.

Now, when is the last time you confessesd your sins to anyone?

Never

We are all called to forgive one another. What is your understanding of the following when we say the Lord’s Prayer, “And forgive us our trespasses,as we forgive those who trespass against us.”? I believe that what you are speaking of is absolution by the priest.

God Bless!

I am sure that you have asked forgiveness when you hurt someones feelings. You have confessed your sins to them and have sought their forgiveness.

God Bless!

I’ll give you that one but I interpreted the thread more towards using a spiritual leader as your confessor than ones neighbor.

I am sure that is insufficient and impractical to satisfy this statement, “Confess your sins one to another.”

I think that many of us do share with our pastors our short-comings(i.e.-sins) but do not do it in a formal way at a set time like we see Roman Catholic Confession time scheduled. Our pastors give us advice and pray for us and with us through our struggles.

God Bless!

Why?

God Bless!

The Sacrament of Reconciliation is not the same thing as an indulgence. They are connected, but not identical. And penance has two Ns, not three; just as Colossians has one L, not two.

And isn’t that quote from II Corinthians: 2. 10, not Colossians.

That’s what happens when you cut and paste the Douay-Rheims commentary but forget what scripture you’re quoting :smiley:

10 “I also”… The apostle here granted an indulgence, or pardon, in the person and by the authority of Christ, to the incestuous Corinthian, whom before he had put under penance, which pardon consisted in a releasing of part of the temporal punishment due to his sin.

drbo.org/chapter/54002.htm

Our Lord gave His authority to forgive or retain sins in His holy name to the apostles after his resurrection. It’s a no-brainer. Anyone who has a beef with it is just chicken to unload their sins to a priest. It’s pride and fear and the obvious insitution of this sacrament is plain and clear in Scripture. We cannot confess our sins in the closet and think that is sufficient.

I can answer this from experience as a Catholic. Not all things can be appropriately confessed to another person or the one you sinned against. The sin of imagined lust for example. I cannot imagine confessing it to a person I lusted, and say, “I am sorry I lust for you the other afternoon, please forgive me”.

God bless.

Great point!

This is a great link/video from Father Matthew on Rite of Reconciliation of a Penitent. Father Matthew is an Episcopal priest.

youtube.com/profile?user=FatherMatthew#play/uploads/24/pbWH1yILLII

God Bless!

Hey, thanks for the link.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear a good input, quite close to the Catholic position on the Sacrament of Reconciliation. :slight_smile:

Anyway, point made, I suppose.

God bless you.

Are you a school teacher who checks everyone’s spelling? **Who cares!! **That is not the point to this. I am still trying to get over the fact that you are actually Catholic.

Maybe you should go on to read in Colossians 2:16 "No one is free, therefore to pass judgment on you"… You constantly do that and call yourself a Christian. I’d like to show you all my PM’s from others who think you are an arrogant, annoying, self-righteous troll.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I’ve had an awesome day watching Rossi snatch poll position for tomorrows race, and you’re on here throwing out insults :stuck_out_tongue:

Being the devout catholic you are (albeit with heretical views on the God of the OT it must be said) I assume you pm’d them back quoting Colossians 2:16, telling them they are not free to pass judgement on me, and neither are you :rolleyes:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Perhaps “Traditionalist Catholic” would be the best term to use. (Although I’m not sure this is related to the topic of this thread.)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.